• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler drone / exhaust advice needed

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
So... finally mounted a header to my '86 2.5l 2-door, which has a 2.5" collector, reduces to 2.25" to a flowmaster 50 series just in front of the rear axle (no cat.) Then its the stock 2" up and over the axle to exit near the pass side shackle (may replace this portion, due to small hole and rust.)

Sounds great! almost dead quiet at idle, but when driving, there's a heavy drone in the cab. BTW, it's a 2 door that I chopped the back off of, so there's nothing behind me but air :)

Do I need to relocate the muffler? would a heat shield plus high temp sound deadener help?

Additionaly, I get a lot of fumes drafted back up into the cab when using engine compression to slow down. Where would you dump the exhaust?

Thanks

I'd post pics, but still can't figure out how...

thats really the trade off you get when you modify an exhaust. And with half the cab gone its definately going to be worse. i mean, you took off what was there to seperate exhaust fumes/ sound from your nose and ears.

best you can really do for fumes is make sure the exhaust exits ALL the way out the back, like even with rear bumper, and im not sure that would even help the fumes because on decelleration the winds around the cab will pick up the fumes and swirl in the cab.

as for the noise, get a better muffler or some ear plugs... we have a tj that the exhaust goes, header, cat, short section of 2.5" to muffler and the muffler just dumps under the middle of the jeep, and it sounds like a big v8 ALL the time. but its out of the way and what we could fit and be happy with, thats the trade off

Back