• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Donut(?) gaskets on y-pipe to header?

suprbst

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to put my exhaust back together on my 2000 XJ 4.0L after putting on a new head (original 0331 cracked). I swear I kept all the parts together when taking things apart, and I don't remember seeing donut gaskets on the top of the y-pipe with the pre-cats where it mounts to the 2 sections of the exhaust manifold. The FSM says to "install gaskets" but the gaskets at the parts stores are all the wrong size, and I'm starting to wonder if there actually are gaskets at this junction or if it's just a compression fit, as the top of the y-pipe has a taper that seems like it would fit directly into the manifolds. I will take a few pictures later to show the spot I'm stuck on.

For reference, I'm in CA, so there's always the damn dirty CARB to consider, and I have seriously considered swapping out the whole exhaust for a nice stainless system with headers, but I don't have the money to spend on it at the moment, and I need to just finish putting the Jeep back together for my daughter to drive until next summer break when we can start tearing into it again.

Autozone # 60745

Just replaced mine

Part is like $11.00.

It may have stuck to your old exhaust manifold when you removed it. Flat end went toward manifold, beveled end sat around ring on down pipe.

I smeared a bit of copper RTV, but probably didn't need to, let the RTV set up over night, it smokes a bit on the first run

Cool - thanks! I checked on Autozone's website, and it says that part number will not fit my 2000 XJ's 4.0L, but they gave a part # of 60836 that is supposed to fit. There might have been a change in the diameter of the pipes between the pre- and post- HO engine from what I understand. I picked up the same kind of metal gaskets from O'Reilly before, but brought them home & they were too big to fit the pipes. I'll have to measure the pipes' diameter to see what part is really going to fit.

I did pick up some copper RTV, too, just to help seal it.

Oops. I have a bad habit of just assuming everybody's XJ is just like mine.

At least I pointed you in the right direction.

Fit should be obvious with the flange in the down pipe.

Easy on the RTV. The O2 sensor is nearby, you don't want to foul it up.

Back