• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Dana 44 retainer plates

jwebb85

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of setting up ZJ disc brakes on my XJ 44 axle. I bought this from a member. I am pretty sure that he bought the Rubicon 44 retainer plates. I have read that a shim needs to be made to allow the seal to fit tight. However, the Rubi plates have a lip on them (unlike the flat XJ 44 ones) that is the same thickness as the shim would be. By using these plates do I not need to add a shim before I push new bearings on the axles??

No need for the shim if you are using the Rubi plates since the shim is built into those retainer plates. I am doing the same ZJ disc brake conversion on my XJ D44 and I bought myself some Rubi plates as well.

From what I recall on my D44 disk brake swap you have two options:
a) Rubicon plates that you redrill the mounting holes on
b) XJ plates that you add a spacer to

Sounds like you are doing option 'a'.

I used the Rubi TJ plates when I did my disc swap. I welded up and redrilled the holes to the XJ D44 pattern, as the Rubi D44 uses the same D35 retainer plate bolt pattern that ZJ and TJ disc setups share. I also drilled out the backing plates to match.

000_0350.jpg

000_0366.jpg

XJ Buildup III thread: http://naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=2

Either way, the bearings will need to be removed via press to either add the spacer ring, or install re-drilled TJ Rubi retainer plates.

not exactly. my spacers are split and have 2 pins and 2 holes so you can snap them together. i am unsure who made them as i got them in a kit on cragslist, but you do not have to remove the bearings.

not exactly. my spacers are split and have 2 pins and 2 holes so you can snap them together. i am unsure who made them as i got them in a kit on cragslist, but you do not have to remove the bearings.

Cool, good to know there are options for those who don't need to replace their bearings while doing the swap. Mine was a fresh build, so new bearings were in order anyway.

I cut the top of my rubi plates so that I could just slip them over the shaft.

I went looking for a photo, but don't appear to have taken one.

A useful tip I learned when using the teraflex spacer is to tack them to the backing plates. It prevents them from moving around while installing the shafts.

DSC_0567.jpg

The big question is what is the ideal e-brake cable for this swap? I've got the YJ passenger cable which is IMHO way too long.

Last edited:
Mark, using the method that I did, you should be able to shorten the YJ cable to fit your rig, right?

Testing my memory from 6 years ago......IIRC, one hole in the TJ backing plate 4 bolt pattern lines up with the XJ D44 mounting flange pattern, so I first welded up and drilled 3 new holes in the axle retainer plate and then transferred this pattern to the brake backing plate and drilled 3 new holes. The new holes are close to the existing ones, so one could probably use a die grinder to slot them, bit I wanted to minimize the potential for misalignment.

I suspect that the pictured brake backing plate flange is forged steel and not cast.... if so, 3 of the existing holes could be easily welded up and new holes drilled, just like the axle retainer plates, if one wanted to. I've had zero issues with my method in 6+ years of use, fwiw.

Last edited:
Back