• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel leaks

heavyequipment

NAXJA Forum User
My grandson's '89 Cherokee caught fire (parked at a gas pump!!) and I've seen some injectors leak before. After the fire, I decided it's a good idea to check for leaks from time to time. The easy way to do it is pull the fuel pump relay (on Renix systems; Chrysler I haven't investigated). Make a jumper out of a paper clip and plug it in to the slots closest to and farthest from the engine. This energizes the fuel pump without needing the ignition on.

The injectors must be closely inspected while under pressure. They can leak where the upper plastic joins the metal body and also past the connector pins. Sometimes it's a very small leak and hard to see. Might be easier to smell... A small leak will get worse, so don't wait to replace the injector. I use the same technique on my Volvos, and anything else with similar injectors.

I check for leaks like this at every oil change, or if someone smells gas fumes.

Testing costs $0; fires cost a lot more.

I just watched the video in their web site. Is anybody realizing any real world improvement with these injectors. I recently checked mine for leaks, cleaned them up and replaced seals.

Those precision a injector sets are not too expensive, I figure mine are probably original. I'd be willing to put this easy and inexpensive item on my to do list, especially if they provide a noticeable improvement.

Or is this one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" items?

I have installed 3 sets of the Precision injectors. Better idle quality, smoother acceleration. But most of all, the later injectors don't leak externally and catch your Jeep on fire.

I just watched the video in their web site. Is anybody realizing any real world improvement with these injectors. I recently checked mine for leaks, cleaned them up and replaced seals.

Those precision a injector sets are not too expensive, I figure mine are probably original. I'd be willing to put this easy and inexpensive item on my to do list, especially if they provide a noticeable improvement.

Or is this one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" items?

If you have the old OEM injectors ditch them fast!

Same could be said about the oem fuel line plastic quick disconnects. Ive had more leaks from those than the injectors themselfs. knock on wood...

Same could be said about the oem fuel line plastic quick disconnects. Ive had more leaks from those than the injectors themselfs. knock on wood...

I have never had one leak on the Renix jeeps

If you have the old OEM injectors ditch them fast!

Because of the danger of leaks/fire or because of poor performance?

With all I recently went through, things are nice and clean around the injectors, no indications of leaks. If its a performance upgrade, I am on it soon. If its a maintenance "good thing to do" I can wait a bit and keep an eye on them.

With all I recently went through, things are nice and clean around the injectors, no indications of leaks. If its a performance upgrade, I am on it soon. If its a maintenance "good thing to do" I can wait a bit and keep an eye on them.

Because of external body leaks, that cause fires, that lead to REAL POOR performance!!!! :D LOL

I got mine at fiveomotorsports.co . The old ones tend to leak at the mid point along a seam in the main body. My first 87 I bought in 2004 had 2 or 3 leakers.

If yours have a yellow body they are OK, newer style.

Last edited:

Fire danger is the biggest worry. The added performance in idle and throttle response is secondary.

Hard to "keep an eye" on injectors which are under the hood and can leak instantaneously while driving.

So I installed these today and have a few issues:

I couldn't tell if the blue plastic tips were part of the injectors or just a shipping cap. I decided to leave them on since they appeared to be part of the injector.

The top groove in the injector bodies is located in a way that doesn't allow the new bodies to seat as far into the fuel rail. Checked closely no signs of leaks.

Jeep runs good, there "might" be some improvement. Idle seemed a bit higher until I drove it around a bit.

BIG PROBLEM: I am getting quick starts/rough starts and jumpy starts after it sits for a bit. I think maybe they are leaking into the cylinders?? Might have to put old ones back in tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Yes I lubed them up, had them well seated, but did have to mess around with them a bit to get the clips to align.

I'll make sure they are all well seated in the morning.

It's odd because I am getting a quick start now. Not the typical Renix crank, crank start. It's firing up on the second crank now.

My kid reported a crank no start tonight too.

I was real careful to not disturb any other connectors.

I found a second, trapped o'ring stuck in the fuel rail on mine once, right above the injector, Which injectors did you buy?

Honestly don't know specifically which injectors they are. Purchased basic replacements from Precision. They have an orange-ish top body and say Ford on the side. Appear to be basic single hole (can see a needle tip at the tip)

Going to recheck the seating in the morning. Just really seems to be leak down.

Note from DJ
Quote:
I couldn't tell if the blue plastic tips were part of the injectors or just a shipping cap. I decided to leave them on since they appeared to be part of the injector.

Regarding this information I have no answer.

Regarding this information hears two past tips from cruiser54
Quote:
BIG PROBLEM: I am getting quick starts/rough starts and jumpy starts after it sits for a bit.

From this post http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1054476&page=6
Post #80 by cruiser54
Quote:
Sometimes the injector plugs don't seat well on the injectors. Give 'em all a little nudge while you're at it. Got the color codes for the injector wiring?

I had this problem with one of my injectors. I removed the connector and tightened up the female spade terminals now no more problem every time I work under the hood.

Post #82 by cruiser54
Quote:
1-light blue, 2-light green, 3-tan, 4-yellow, 5-white, 6-black

This information is just in case you mixed up the correct order of the wiring when installing the clips it is easy to do.

I would call Precision @ 407-536-4509 for free Tech Support and explain to them what your problems are.

Last edited:
Back