• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions on engines swap from a TJ into a XJ

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I threw a rod last week and am looking at getting a used engine. I have 2 options that my buddys selling. Ones a 4.0 out of a 04 jeep rubicon with 60K on it. And then my second option is a 4.0 out of a 97 TJ with around 100k on it. Can eather of these engines be swapped into my XJ? Or will a couple of things need to be changed or what?

anything can be done = $

Start with the basics...
what year is your XJ?
what motor is in your XJ?
what transmission in your XJ?
what aftermarket parts are on your XJ?

From my understanding, (non-renix) 4.0L blocks are all the same, it's the stuff bolted to them.
If you're willing to swap parts then it should work, but answer the questions above first.

anything can be done = $

Start with the basics...
what year is your XJ?
what motor is in your XJ?
what transmission in your XJ?
what aftermarket parts are on your XJ?

From my understanding, (non-renix) 4.0L blocks are all the same, it's the stuff bolted to them.
If you're willing to swap parts then it should work, but answer the questions above first.

98 xj sport
4.0 high output
Aw4 tranny
No aftermarket parts

I head that the 2000 and newer blocks are different so won't be able to straight swap it in. Will have to mod something. My engine block is toast. Can use anything really. Plus whole engine has over 200k miles.

You can switch the coil packs over to the distributor easy enough.

The only difference is possibly a few bolt bosses, either block should work. Not knowing for sure what sensor changes were made between '98 and '04, I'd go with the '97 block. You're just going to use the long block, swap over your manifolds and stuff.

Well the 97 motor he decided to keep it. So the 04 one won't work at all? What year motors should I be looking for that will swap into my 98? All the engines that are between the years of 90 and 2000 have well over 100k miles on them. And I'm not paying $700 $800 $900 to get a motor with that many miles on it. Just won't pay that.

Well what is i swap the head from mine to that one, then would everything work? It's just a really really good deal to pass up. Is the head the only thing I would have to swap? Everything else would be ok?

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

We have an engine mounting kit that can be used to put a clean-sheet design 4.0L engine (originally sold in 2000+ TJ and 1999 WJ) in an XJ. It was designed for 2000+ TJ which use the outside holes in left bracket arms. For an XJ, the inside holes in the left bracket arms are used. If you decide to go with this engine, you'll need to order our S2883-0 (poly) or SU2883-0 (rubber) and BE SURE to indicate you have an XJ frame and are using a clean-sheet design 4.0L. There are significant differences (more so in the WJ than TJ) in how/where accessories are attached to the block, so the easiest approach is to bring all the accessories over, too. We encourage you to call and ask for Tim. He has worked with guys who have done this and can fill you in on some of the detail.

Last edited:
Back