• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Zero Oil Pressure

ktwalker01

NAXJA Forum User
99xj 4.0l ax15 4 door 4x4 np 231

215,000 miles

As the title says, my gauge has had a mind of its own for 4 years now. For 1 whole year it was pegged at 80 and then dropped to about 40 and then 80 under load. Now for the past few weeks it seemed to be reading normal, and now when it is warm it just says zero across all rpms.

Now I have not hooked a mechanical gauge up to it to verify pressure.

Now for my question about what this motor would sound like if it REALLY had zero oil pressure because this thing run super quiet no tapping, or knocking, the only sound i hear is the faint click of the injectors pulsing.

More info I just moved from florida to wyoming and it is about 15 out in the morning here already this time of the year so i switched to regular castrol gtx 5-30 from running 10-30 in miami.

Edit:
I am going to get a mechanical gauge this week to verify it but im really not losing sleep over this the cap is always saturated and I can hear no strange sounds.

Last edited:
mechanical gauge & verify you have pressure. then, purchase a new sender. You would know it if the engine had no oil pressure. Harbor Freight sells a good test kit for $19.99.

Just change the sender.
I've had them peg high at slightly off idle which is obviously wrong.
Took one apart and it's amazing how fragile and cheaply built they are.

yea it did it after switching from 15w40 in super hot Miami daily driving in traffic, to me moving to Wyoming and switching to 5w30 for the super cold weather. I figured a motor with 215000 miles with true low oil pressure would make a lot of racket but this thing whispers.

Common experience suggests it's the sensor.

BTW- You ain't seen COLD yet! But the 5W-30 and a new battery and clean terminals is about 80% of the battle.

Yea it was the sensor all is well. I replaced the terminals and wires not to long ago with high grade stuff. Battery is a year old. Its supposed to be 7 on sunday.. its only november.

Back