• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck valve???

jpmaniac87

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, it's been so long since I've messed with my Jeep or been to a forum, that my account got deleted! That being said, I'm back into it and trying to get my baby running again... the first issue was the fuel pump... LOOK AT THIS THING! Gotta love 10% ethanol...
20121102_1657171.jpg

Now, it's making a deathly knocking noise and still won't turn over... I thought it was maybe a stuck valve, but it doesn't look like it to me... Here's a video of everything trying to turn over with the valve cover off:
Video of Valves on XJ
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! I really wanna get her back in action, and hey, if a rebuild is all that'll fix it, I could always end up with a 4.6L Stroker :D

O yea, by the way, since my signature disappeared with my account... My jeep is a '91 XJ Laredo with the high output 4.0, and some homebuilt lift sitting on 33s. Locked in the front with an Aussie lunchbox.

Thanks for the help!

Christian

I hear a noisy Jeep in the back ground (which sounds like a typical 4.0 running).....Have you checked the starter and flex plate to see if either is loose or ???? I doubt it is a valve issue at all.

I had a crazy one recently that sounded a little similar, turned out to be the rotor under the cap not being fully seated!!!

Once you verify what Ecomike posted...
Does the fuel pump run for 5-10 seconds when you first turn the ignition to On?
I would verify you are getting fuel and spark....
If you are not then it is time to check the CPS/CKPS, the coil for 12VDC, and associated fuses and relays.

Once you verify what Ecomike posted...
Does the fuel pump run for 5-10 seconds when you first turn the ignition to On?
I would verify you are getting fuel and spark....
If you are not then it is time to check the CPS/CKPS, the coil for 12VDC, and associated fuses and relays.

Thanks for the comments! I've gotta try and get my dad to check it... I left it at his house when I moved to Florida.. He may be towing it down for me for Thanksgiving so I'll check if he can't. Thanks again! I'll keep y'all posted once I check it out!

I got it to work! It was the flex plate. Thank you very much for the info! I followed a really good write up here:Here. I changed plugs, wires, distro cap and rotor today. ran through all the bad gas and we're back to a normal idle! Well, running it has outlined some issues... my tranny was bone dry! I filled it up and noticed some blood coming out right above the cross member

20121130_174038.jpg

Think replacing the tranny pan gasket should fix that? I don't think I've ever had the pan off....

Also, I've got an oil leak, but I can't tell if it's the rear main or from the oil filter mount (not sure what to call that...). Any good way to diagnose? Here are some pics of the oil leak:

20121130_174139.jpg

20121130_174306.jpg

20121130_180759.jpg

If you've had an oil leak like this, it would be awesome if you could let me know that I just need to change the oil filter haha.

Thanks!

Great!!!! It is called an oil filter adapter (OFA). It has several oil rings you need to replace. Either the OFA o'rings are bad or the oil pressure switch is leaking from what we can see so far in the pictures.

Check the split dip stick tube joint and lower pan joint seals for the T-Fluid leak source.

You need to clean it all off (leaks) ,and then recheck for the leak sources.

oil filter adapter is what Jeep calls it.

Only way you're going to find the leak is to degrease all of it and then run it. Follow the oil path back to it's source.

Have fun with the purple power and the hose. Make sure you cover all the vital electrical sensors and ignition bits. I usually wrap them with plastic grocery bags and duct tape before I do heavy duty engine cleaning.

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.
Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.
Many mechanics, friends, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?
A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.
First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.
Revised 9-15-2012

I'll take a look sometime this week, guess it's time to pull out the degreaser! Cruiser, it can't be the valve cover gasket, I just replaced that before running it. However the responsed I've gotten in this thread will definitely help me with the diagnoses!! Thanks everyone! I'll update when I find it. Maybe I'll make a new thread outlining the "rebirth" of my XJ, could be interesting huh?

I'll take a look sometime this week, guess it's time to pull out the degreaser! Cruiser, it can't be the valve cover gasket, I just replaced that before running it. However the responsed I've gotten in this thread will definitely help me with the diagnoses!! Thanks everyone! I'll update when I find it. Maybe I'll make a new thread outlining the "rebirth" of my XJ, could be interesting huh?

Then work from the valve cover down before going after the rMS. There's other stuff that can leak.

Back