• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ Front End Problems..PLZ HELP

lwesley

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, im new to the XJ's. I just bought a 95 model and i LOVE it. However it has a bad popping in the front end. The guy i bought it off of said that he had just replaced the track bar. It only does it when you turn the wheel to the left or the right, or when it has body roll. On the hihgway it pops really bad around curves but if you dont turn sharp it doesnt pop. Please help me with whatever info you guys have.. Thank you very much.

You need to more specific. Done the sound repeat itself at a wheel frequency or is it a one off thing. Have you checked to see if the bolt in the trackbar is tight and the hole in the bracket is not flogged out.

Have to agree with XJDAVID1....
Since the PO replaced the track bar that is where I would start looking.
Inspect the axle end where the track bar bushing end mounts; there is a bolt that goes thru the trackbar bushing sleeve and tightens to a flag nut fastener. Then inspect the uniframe end where the tierod end stud goes thru the mount; there should be a castle nut that is VERY tight with a cotter pin thru it. Also verify the 2 bolts and nuts are tight that attach the mount to the uniframe.

Another this to check that can make a popping noise would be the (3) steering box bolts. If the bolts are loose or the aluminum spacer between the uniframe and the steering box is damaged; this can cause that sound when the steering wheel or steering linkage is moved while on the highway.

don't forget to check for cracks in the frame horns near the trackbar mounts and steering box.

Yup check the track bar mount! Mine was making popping sounds bad! My buddy crawled under while I turned the wheels. The mount was moving very little but when it started to pop. We tightened the crap out of it and now more popping!

Back