• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Veers left under heavy braking - thoughts on why?

z06elmo

NAXJA Forum User
some history, this has happened with two diff D30 front axles, and diff steering setups. Caster is about 6* or so and toe is 0*. It's as if under hard braking the car obviously dives forward and because of that wants to go left. i can correct i by just steering right a bit, but this isn't ideal.

current mods up front:
HPD30
RC Long Arms with Currie Joints
6.5" front springs/OME Front Shocks
IRO Track Bar/IRO Over Steering Setup
Factory front sway bar with disconnects
Vanco big brakes up front (had rebuilt stock calipers before and it still happened)

I'm thinking something happens to the steering geometry when you brake hard and the front compresses a few inches

I'll do you one better - here is a video of my steering setup. if you're referring to my bars angles, they are parallel to each other. i do have newer brake lines installed and have bled them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B04kp_1_ow&hd=1

Sounds like your caliper is sticking. Happened on my first Tj and my current Xj. New calipers are only about 60$ for the pair. I definitely recommend replacing both if only one is sticking. The other won't be far behind

My 98' would go "left turn Clyde", pads had even wear and material left, calipers where floating, all looked good.

Had the rotors turned and installed high quality pads and now it hands free stomp and go straight.

This happened to me when my wheel cylinder on one side of my drums started leaking in the rear, only one side of the brakes was working and the other side was just completely drenched in brake fluid inside and out. replaced both sides and it was fine. I know the pistons can get stuck as well, which i think was my problem. i couldnt get the pistons to go in on the side that leaked, so im assuming the pressure of the fluid being pushed on the non moving parts made it start leaking around them.

And it did this for a little while before i figured it out. it was about a two week ordeal before i saw actual fluid leaking from the drum on to my tire, I did the same looking at the front and never checked the back where the real problem was

Sounds like your caliper is sticking. Happened on my first Tj and my current Xj. New calipers are only about 60$ for the pair. I definitely recommend replacing both if only one is sticking. The other won't be far behind
:thumbup:

thanks for the info guys, i'm going to change out the brake hoses as i think that's the last variable. will keep everyone posted.

How are you control arm bushings. I believe if they are worn unevenly under braking it could cause the axle to rotate a little. If the axle rotates could it cause the front end to pull one direction?

Back