• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke piston skirt

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
My wife's 00 XJ broke a piston skirt off. I don't have the motor completely out yet but i am thinking I could get away with one new piston and new rings for all, if the cylinder wall isn't trashed. Anybody else do this?

Should i replace the crank and rod bearings or no?

My wife's 00 XJ broke a piston skirt off. I don't have the motor completely out yet but i am thinking I could get away with one new piston and new rings for all, if the cylinder wall isn't trashed. Anybody else do this?

Should i replace the crank and rod bearings or no?

Might as well do a full inspection on everything. If the bearings appear to be worn with scratches that can be felt with a fingernail then it would be a good idea to get the crankshaft polished and replace the bearings while you have it torn apart.

Don't even consider replacing one piston. One cracked because the casting was defective and the others are not far behind it. A new OEM piston is no better than the one that cracked. I took my 00 engine apart because of bad piston slap and a cracked head. I found 2 of the 6 pistons cracked. Besides, there are no aftermarket pistons to match the compression height and dish volume of the OEM piston. You do not want one cylinder with a DCR .15 lower than the other 5. Replace all 6 with good aftermarket pistons and keep the engine in balance.

I did it once with a Mazda 323 motor that burned a hole through the top of the piston.

didn't change bearings or anything, didn't even take it out of the car for that matter.

it was still running around 3 years after piston swap.

I wouldn't replace just one. For the simple reason that just because the piston says stock, it may be slightly larger or smaller than stock (thing thousandths). Which can result in a noisy engine or worse, a scuffed piston.

The best option is to take the block to a machinist, replace all pistons and rings, and hone/bore if necessary.

Don't even consider replacing one piston. One cracked because the casting was defective and the others are not far behind it. A new OEM piston is no better than the one that cracked. I took my 00 engine apart because of bad piston slap and a cracked head. I found 2 of the 6 pistons cracked. Besides, there are no aftermarket pistons to match the compression height and dish volume of the OEM piston. You do not want one cylinder with a DCR .15 lower than the other 5. Replace all 6 with good aftermarket pistons and keep the engine in balance.

just because one has a casting defect that causes failure doesnt mean all of the pistons do...

Back