• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modified/aftermarket fuel filter

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
so I've searched here and jeepforum to see if anyone has modified the fuel filter/pump modeler to where the filter has been swapped over to just a straight pipe and the filter has been moved somewhere along the line between the tank and engine. I know the 96' and earlier had ones but mine is a 97' I know the psi is 50 and I know the earlier had that so I'm just wondering if anyone has and if they have a write up or pics for it. would like to make changing the fuel filter easier.

I would do a little more research but between the 96-97 there's not to much of a difference so it may be doable, Mine is in the back by the tank(96), so it's only the rubber line thats spliced, hopefully you have that same rubber line in the back running to your stainless fuel line(down the frame).

I was planning to use a Ford fuel Injection fiter inline on my XJ eventually ... it's pretty much common to all fords starting about 86-ish (same filter in both 4cyl tempo's up to 5.0 mustangs) and it's common enough to just about be available at the 7-11 (yes I exaggerate).

Hit the JY and grab the fitting ends off a tempo, topaz, mustang .... start with 86/7 and look for a fuel injected engine ... the filter will be in the engine bay on one of the fenders. Grab the fittungs for it, they are the duckbill quick release variety and don't have problems with leakage. The filter will come with a new set of tabs for the fittings as well ... or skip the fittings and you can just do the hose clamp thing.

Here's on e from Jegs - Motorcraft FG872 - states 91-08 but the same filter was used on my 87 and 89 tempo's (hey I was a poor teenager once, and they were cheap and easy to fix)
http://www.jegs.com/i/ACDelco-Motorcraft/037/FG872/10002/-1?parentProductId=1321262

Just go with the stock XJ factory 87-96 fuel filter, no need for any fittings, just 2 clamps,cut hose.and your done.....

Just go with the stock XJ factory 87-96 fuel filter, no need for any fittings, just 2 clamps,cut hose.and your done.....

I read that but that would still leave a filter in the tank, that was why I was wondering if anyone has removed that filter and replaced it with straight pipe fitting and if so, does someone have a write up or pics of it.

I read that but that would still leave a filter in the tank, that was why I was wondering if anyone has removed that filter and replaced it with straight pipe fitting and if so, does someone have a write up or pics of it.

What is in the tank is more of a (plastic) mesh strainer than a filter. I would leave it in there. At least, that is the way it is on my '96 along,... the inline filter clamped to the frame rail with rubber hose on both ends.

in conjunction with your stock filter (so long as its not clogged).

That's the reasoning for wanting to know if anyone has done what I've described because if I can take out the filter(not the mesh sieve) that means I'd only have to get in to the tank once aside from replacing pump or other things. So instead of every so often fiddling with the tank, I could easily see the filter and swap it when ever

Back