• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New EU tyre labelling may be beneficial for USA too

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Today (1 Nov 2012) sees the introduction of compulsory tyre (tire) performance labelling across the EU. All tyre manufacturers now have to show customers the performance comparison labels on their products at point of sale and on their European websites.

The labelling that I have seen today on British tyre websites shows a 35x12.50R15 BFG KM2 is more fuel efficient than a 35x12.50R18 General Grabber AT. The BFG scores 'F', the Grabber scores 'G'. Both score a 'C' for wet braking performance. Tyres that are in warehouse stock that were made before Summer 2012 do not need to be labelled so it might not be possible to get a direct comparison on all sizes until the manufacturer's next production run.

On light truck tyres, the difference in fuel economy between bands can be as much as 5%. On car tyres it's typically around 1.5% .

I recently used the new labelling scheme to choose replacement Vredestein winter tyres for our small car. They are already showing a 10% improvement in fuel economy over the budget tyres it had when we bought it. The Vredestein tyres cost me 30% more than replacement budget tyres but the fuel saving they are making will pay for the difference in about six months. I'm gaining from the better braking and comfort now.

If you are thinking about buying new tyres in the USA or Canada, check to see if they are 'E' marked first. If they are, they will have a tyre performance label shown on a European website. Almost all 'E' marked tyres are 'DOT' marked too, but some manufacturers like Pirelli make separate DOT and E versions on some sizes so comparisons cannot always be made.

Back