• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastidip on JCR rack brackets?

offroadordnance

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my JCR brackets for the rack I made last week and am a little concerned that they will abrade through the paint on the rails and cause the rails to rust. My plan is to smooth any sharp edges and coat the bracket pieces with thinned down Plastidip. I assume too thick a coating would wear through and the loose fitting pieces would cause more wear than uncoated brackets. Any suggestions or related experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

Why is everyone so obsessed with plastidip??

I'd say paint it with some rustoleum like you would any other metal part you put on the jeep and call it a day. If you are that worried about it, check the rails periodically and paint them with rustoleum if you see rust.

Or try rubberized undercoating or duplicolor spray bedliner.

Why is everyone so obsessed with plastidip??

I'd say paint it with some rustoleum like you would any other metal part you put on the jeep and call it a day. If you are that worried about it, check the rails periodically and paint them with rustoleum if you see rust.

Or try rubberized undercoating or duplicolor spray bedliner.

Because it's hella flush.... or something like that...

Instead of Plasti-Dip I just rounded the edges of the brackets and painted them. I've had them on for a while now and no rust because they don't move at all once all brackets are tightened down.

Powdercoat or the plasticoat is fine for fl but it doesn't take salt/winter to well and when water gets behind it turns into rust. Oldschool primer and painted holds up the best.

What paint are you using that resists corrosion better than powder? Or where are you getting your powder coating done that makes you say rattle bomb will last longer?

Back