• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing Situation Part 2

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
Here are two of the plugs after I pulled them to see whats going on within the engine. This one is of the #1 cylinder:
picture.php

Here is one of the #4 Cylinder:

picture.php

Cylinders #2, 3, 5, and 6 were just a tad less carbonized than #1. These plugs have less than 1 driving mile, and 30 mins of operation time on them. Thoughts on this??

Jeff

How about running a compression test on ALL cylinders for starters. You need to start gathering actual test data here to narrow this down.

The compression spec for the 4.0 is 120-150, with no more than a 30 psi variation between cylinders.

Could I get refreshed on how to get the correct readings?? Its been several years since I last did a compression check and want to do it right to post up the results. Thanks.

Jeff

If new plugs got that bad, that fast, I would say the valve seals (oil seals) are SHOT (and or piston rings, but since one looks fine, the odds are bad valve seals IMHO)!!!! I can't see a rich fuel mix doing that in such a short time!!!!

If it was something like a weak spark, it would be weak on all six plugs IMHO.

Only two options, pull and service or replace the head, or on a temp basis install hotter plugs or antifouling spark plug extenders, and some heavy duty snake oil additives, MMO to free up stuck rings first (It could be a ring problem or a valve seal problem, or both), then a thick oil burning oil additive, like Lucas.

Compression test, Do one cylinder at a time, and pull the primary spark plug wire before cranking. With that much oil the test should not need oil addition, LOL.

Back