• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel an ABS XJ?

Jhumphrey

NAXJA Forum User
So Ive been thinking about adding a snorkel to my XJ (still undecided). However, I have a couple of things that are working against me: its a 98 (washer bottle is located in the driver side fender area) and it has ABS plumbing (the rear end has been swapped out, but all the "plumbing" is there). So I was wondering, how do those with a 97+ XJ with ABS go about doing this project given that there is practically no real estate on the driver side of the vehicle?

Im not trying to start a debate as to whether or not a snorkel works. Im just wondering how you do this mod. I saw many write ups on installing various snorkel set ups, but none seemed to address ABS models (or even really what to do with the washer bottle once removed).

On my 96, we swapped the washer fluid reservoir to the passenger side and kept it in the fender (not exactly a quick and easy job, but totally worth it - mine was in the engine compartment before). And we got a snorkel from my neighbor's 4Runner which fits pretty perfectly around the ABS with a canister air filter without having to have any unnecessary bends or lots of tubing (again, not quite plug and play, but turned out well).

On my 96, we swapped the washer fluid reservoir to the passenger side and kept it in the fender (not exactly a quick and easy job, but totally worth it - mine was in the engine compartment before). And we got a snorkel from my neighbor's 4Runner which fits pretty perfectly around the ABS with a canister air filter without having to have any unnecessary bends or lots of tubing (again, not quite plug and play, but turned out well).

You make it sounds as though he had an extra snorkel just chillin that or just figured his ride wont need it hah.

You make it sounds as though he had an extra snorkel just chillin that or just figured his ride wont need it hah.

Under cover of darkness...ha! No, his 4Runner was totalled and he was parting it out and I kept looking at that snorkel and thinking it would fit, so he let me pull it off and we lined it up and sure enough, it was a pretty remarkable fit.

I read a write up where someone installed this (http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/windshield-washer-fluid-bag-1966-67-bronco-new) instead of the hard washer bottle when they did their snorkel. However, they didnt say if it was a direct fit or if they had to rig it to work properly. Any thoughts?

@bulfo: How much modding did you have to do to get the 4runner snorkel to work? It sounds like it could be a viable option if I decide to do this project.

Back