• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel side to side

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I searched.

1988 Laredo with tilt.

Steering wheel moves side to side.
Linkage/steering shaft seems secure.
Movement is right at steering column where it meets dash.

I have seen some seemingly complicated repairs involved in pulling the wheel and dealing with all the turnsignal stuff, etc.

But also picked up on a couple comments regarding repairs outside the steering column, up under the dash???

Any input or links to applicable threads would be appreciated.

it's really pretty easy. And, except for the puller, you don't really "need" any special tools. Although I do have them all, and they make it incredibly easier.

OK now that I passed smog and the jeep is legal again, time to give it some love.

I am going to to start gathering the parts/tools I need for this, a few questions:

1) Can I pull the steering wheel with a standard parts puller? (I have one) or do I need to buy a steering wheel puller.

2) Is it easy to add new ignition key switch during this repair? Whats the recommended part number?

3) My left hand turn signal doesn't self cancel. What do I need to fix that while I am in there?

1-I've always used a steering wheel puller. You're gonna need the tool to depress the locking ring also.

3-You can buy the return/cancelling springs as a kit for real cheap.

2) Is it easy to add new ignition key switch during this repair? Whats the recommended part number?

Varies by year, and I discovered mine had an 87 or 85 (I forget), column in the 89, Had to carry the old lock to the A-zone to get the right year one.

Yes, it is easy if it is not damaged!

Back