• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 xj cat replacement?

srmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I live in California, and I don't know what to do as far as replacing my catalytic converter. I'm slowly replacing worn parts to bring the power and mpg back up to where it should be.

My xj has 173,000 miles, with the 3 cat system, and I was having an injector leak for a while, so I wouldn't be surprised if the cat was fouled. (I replaced the upstream O2 sensors recently too) Mpg is terrible 13-14 all the time. I literally get maybe 100 miles out of half a tank. (Highflow exhaust, 4 hole injectors, cold air intake, 4.56 gears on 33's.)

Also, last year I landed pretty hard on the cat so the bottom is scraped and dented.

All the cat's on the Oreilly website are listed as 49 state... so where the hell can I buy a cat for mine? I won't remove it, I want it to be legal.

Thanks!

Columbus

somebody will sell a carb legal cat for your rig.
13-14mpg is normal for a lifted jeep IMO. i average about 12mpg with 35's and mine runs fine.

O'Reilly does offer 50 state compliant cats, they are sold by Magnaflow. Apparently they do not offer a Califoria compliant direct fit replacement for the XJ though. If you look in the Perfromance section for Universal Catalytic Converters there is a huge list of them...

But based on our system a 447104 is the best fit for a universal fit that is 50 state compliant, I had to go back to a 99 to find one, but there really isn't much of a difference that far back. The 99, and the non-Califoria emissions 00 use almost the same setup with the exception of the manifold design....

Magnaflow universal Cal cat 47206, approved Aug, 2012 by CARB for '97-'01. EO # D-193-103 about $100 on Amazon. I haven't tried one yet, just price shopping.

Back