• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99-04 WJ Dana 30 direct swap?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched but cant find a direct reference. Is a Dana 30 from a 99-04 Grand Cherokee a direct swap for an XJ? Also, did they come in HP and LP? Trying to broaden my options for HP donors or if I can just bolt the WJ axle under my XJ it would automatically upgrade my steering and brakes. I am sure if it was a direct swap I would have found info about it on here but thought I would make sure.

Last edited:
it's like 4" wider for starters. shafts will be hard to get, they have cv joints instead of u joints and i dont know of anyone who makes an upgraded replacement

cool, that all i needed to know. I can rule those out....man, i can find them for $100-$150 around me but cant find the XJ Dana 30HP for less then $250. All the deals I find are states away and shipping kills the deal...annoying

with knuckles and brakes? might be worth just grabbing one (even a 2wd beam) for $100 for the wj swap.

it's like 4" wider for starters. shafts will be hard to get, they have cv joints instead of u joints and i dont know of anyone who makes an upgraded replacement

IRO does with a u-joint conversion: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...=IROR&Product_Code=IR-WFAAC&Category_Code=WDT

or RCV make some: http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details-axles.aspx?sku=CVJ30-WJ

I would think the control arm mounts would be different, but I have never compared the Wj dana 30 and XJ dana 30 side by side.

and at least on some years, the pinion yoke is a funky CV socket, rather than a U-joint yoke...

They are also the wrong bolt pattern..

Yeah, but if the WJ front is 4" wider, you would need spacers in the rear anyway if he still keep the stock 35 or 8.25. You could in theory run 2" spacers that would change from the 5 on 4.5 to the 5 on 5.

Of course if you go down that route, you'd need new wheels too...

Back