• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears + brakes question

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 auto has 3.55 gears... I'm running 245/75/16 tires and don't plan to go any bigger in the next 4-5 years, if ever. From all of the gear charts I've seen, that size and gearing is in the range of "best highway mileage". Should I just stick with 3.55 gears if I don't plan on bigger tires? Or would 4.10's be of any benefit?

This leads me to my next question...I've got a D35 thanks to the ABS. If I do stay with 3.55 gears, should I just swap in a Chrys 8.25 and do a disc brake job, or go all out on a Ford 8.8 with 3.55 gears and discs already...

The 8.25 seems like the cheaper route. I don't do any hardcore wheeling, mainly overlanding, camping, forest service roads and such.

If you don't do any hardcore stuff or plans, then there is no need for other gears. As for MPG I think the 3.55 will give you the best, I could be wrong but don't think so.
The C8.25 is good as you know... And it would take a lot to blow that up- so I don't see a need for the 8.8. Nice to have, but no hardcore wheeling- no need for it.
If I were in your shoes I'd save $ now and when you have enough to buy the C8.25 and do all the upgrading to it before you need it that way it's ready for when the D35 blows. Hopefully you have a place to store the C8.25 for a little while.

It would be a lot more fun to drive with 4.10s but would cost a bunch for the pleasure.
If you went the 8.8, they can be found already with 4.10s. You would still need to regear the front axle.
Don't expect miracles from rear discs, most of the braking come from the front brakes. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I found that the rear discs lock up more easily in wet/icy conditions, even with the ZJ proportioning valve.
ZJs normally came with anti-locks so they didn't suffer from this problem.

lazyxj, I'm looking for what'll be better on fuel efficiency with those size tires... I know 4.10s would be fun, but i'd rather save a little than that extra fun =) I've already adapted my driving habits to eek out what I can.

I figure that people upgrade from the 8.25 enough, or in the JY, that I could find one fairly cheap. Do the disc conversion and rebuild it essentially to someday go in. Main reason why I want discs all around is for ease of replacing instead of working with the drums.

Back