• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 TD reliability?

I moved to the UK about 3 months ago with the Air Force. Got two Lexus IS200s when we got here, but we have decided that we need a different vehicle. If for no other reason than the need to be able to carry stuff home that is too big to fit in the lexus. Since I have been missing my XJ, this is looking like the perfect opportunity to pitch an idea for a new to me xj.

I have seen a few 4.0 5speeds here, but all beat to crap. That was going to be my first choice given that after my stroker build on the last XJ I know it inside and out.

I just came across a very nice looking 1996 XJ, 2.5td, manual, 4wd. 137k miles, pictures look great. But if the 2.5 diesel is crap I don't want to wast my time looking at it.

Opinions, comments?

Where I live there are many but nobody want them. Many problems with that engine. AFAIK the cabs in England use the same engine (or at least from the same company: VM Motori).

Just my .02.

Some 2.5TD engines do have a problem with individual cylinder head failures. Cracking is the most common cause. Early engines seem to be more prone than later (97+) engines. 60,000+ miles is a rough yard stick for likely head failure.

I suspect, but I have no proof, that the problem is mostly caused by hot engine shutdown. Owners that idle their engine for a minute or more before shutdown to allow the turbo to cool with oil pressure haven't experienced the problem or have had it after longer mileage intervals (100K+). Uneven heat soaking and cooling when stationary could be the problem.

I haven't had a 2.5TD myself, but I had a 2.8TD VM in my JK Wrangler. I sold it at 90,000 Km with no engine problems.

The Mercedes 2.7CRD for many years was the desirable engine for a European Jeep. However, many older models are now experiencing problems with fuel injection malfunctions and leaks which is proving expensive and has lowered their appeal. If you find one with a fine black tar like coating in the engine bay, it's got problems.

Back