• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Selection/Winterizing - Stock 1990 XJ

BulletMaker

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm trying to plan some vehicle upgrades including some new stock springs and tires.

The front coils seem to be in OK shape, but as usual, the butt is dragging, so new springs will take priority over new tires.

That said, I've been looking around, and I'm thinking either the General Tire Grabber AT2 (gets good snow reviews) or the Yokahama Geolander (also seems to get good snow reviews). I'm in the process of moving up to washington this winter, so the vehicle may see a few trips through the snowy parts of I5, plus where I'm moving tends to get snow for a few weeks of the year. And they fit my budget

The big question is, I'm looking at bumping up the size to the 265/70R15's which according to some sources will fit just fine on the stock rims. The other question I have, is will it still fit in the back of the jeep in the normal tire carrier position?

I also have the stock tire carrier on the back, so I can carry a second spare, any opinions about this size tire on the rack?

Additionally, I was thinking of installing a block heater, as well as a battery blanket (12V) and an oil pan heater. McMaster-Carr sells silicon rubber heating pads for this purpose. I'm curious would it be better to do one, the other or both? Also, does anyone make a 12V block heater? I go camping quite frequently regardless of weather (hey, when you gotta hunt, ya gotta hunt) and I have a low-voltage generator I use for campsite power (12V) which is much quieter than a 110V generator, but it's a pain having another device (an inverter) to power up the block heater in the field. Anyone have opinions on this?

I think you're too worried about winter cold. Unless you expect to be where it routinely gets below zero, block heaters, battery blankets, and oil pan heaters really aren't necessary. Just keep a good battery in the vehicle and it should have no problems starting in the winter.

any good winter rated tire will be fine. utah last year didnt have one storm that brought even close to a foot of snow in a storm... i think southern cali will be ok

all the rest of the stuff is a waste unless your xj has a deisel in it

you live in socal and you're worried about block heaters and whatnot? LOL
even if you live in big bear, you dont need to worry about that.

The big question is, I'm looking at bumping up the size to the 265/70R15's which according to some sources will fit just fine on the stock rims.

The other question I have, is will it still fit in the back of the jeep in the normal tire carrier position?

I also have the stock tire carrier on the back, so I can carry a second spare, any opinions about this size tire on the rack?

265/70's WILL fit on the stock rims...but they will NOT fit on your Jeep unless it's lifted and/or fenders trimmed. They will rub like crazy on turns and if you even think about flexing.

Same tire in the back? You'll likely have a problem getting that tire in there. When I tried it I popped the back window out when I closed the hatch. I know that people here have done it and said "no problem", but if you look at their installation the tire is usually cockeyed and looks like poo.

I have 265/70's on my XJ, and my spare on the back stock tire carrier, BUT it will not fit with stock backspacing (too fat). I also have Cragar 8's with 3" BS (matching spare) and they fit fine. Weight isn't an issue, the thing never rattles or even hints at not doing it's thing, been that way for years.

As far as all the other stuff for keeping it nice and cozy under the hood, I lived in Bend, OR for a long ski season, it got down below zero several times up at Mt. Bachelor where I worked. It sat all day and I never had a problem with it freezing up (except the door locks a couple times). If you lived in North Dakota, you'd already have that stuff. Even if you go up to Tahoe a few times a year, you wouldn't need it. Overkill.

Paradise,

That's some good info, what do you think would be a reasonable lift? I've been thinking about just putting a 2" on it (really don't need a huge lift, as my idea of "wheeling" is going down muddy/slippery trails while hunting). I have a cheap-o lift a buddy of mine gave me with new shackles for the rear, and pucks for the front, but want to get new leaf springs before I put the bigger tires on, I would really like to keep the config I have (2 spares), so I may see if I can borrow a tire from someone and see if it fits, otherwise I may drop down to the 235/75R15's I've seen (not much price difference), but they do have the grabber AT2 studdable for $2 more... which might be of benefit on my aunt's ranch, as it's a great place to get stuck in the creek with all that slippery mud.

As far as getting the tire to fit on outside if I do go with that size, do you think just making some stud adapters would fit the bill? (a piece of stock that's female on one end and male on the other with a 1/2-20?)

Just an FYI, (for those that didn't read the original post) I'm moving up to wenatchee, wa. Since I'm already busy tearing everything apart right now on an ABS delete, I could pop in a block heater without much hassle. Since it's about a $40 part... I may do it anyways. It is snowing this week, however I'm not heading back up until next friday.

I could pop in a block heater without much hassle. Since it's about a $40 part... I may do it anyways. It is snowing this week, however I'm not heading back up until next friday.
ive never needed a block heater here in new england with temps as low as -15, maybee if you had a diesel truck or lived in ak

I've had the AT2's for a winter and loved 'em. Although we didn't get much snow in Nebraska last year I never HAD to pull the t-case lever--I do have a rear locker, though. You will NOT like them in the mud. Small voids and mud do not mix well.

hankook dynapro ATM.

nothing but impressed on my wife's DD XJ.

you don't need to do anything to prep it for winter other than test the coolant for freeze protection and make sure your battery doesn't suck.

these jeeps are all over the world with snow and harsh weather, i can assume that probably every single one of them does not have a block heater/battery blanket/oil heater.

just do your basic maintenance and save up the money on all that silly stuff for gas on your road trip.

Ive left my jeep parked up camping/hunting for week where it had been below zero for 2-3 days and the only thing i experienced was a slow crank, but she still started up, and that was around the time my last battery was going out. i actually replaced it after that trip because of that.

hankook dynapro ATM.

nothing but impressed on my wife's DD XJ.

you don't need to do anything to prep it for winter other than test the coolant for freeze protection and make sure your battery doesn't suck.

Just got my new set of Hankooks installed today! Awesome tires. Had Hankook Dynamic Radials on the XJ then Wild Countrys then the new 31s from today.

31/10.5/15 Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s. YAY! Road hazard, lifetime rotate/balance and free alignment to boot!

NewShoes3web.jpg

Better shot of the new shoes.

NewShoes4.jpg

Anyone have an opinion on the Toyo Open Country A/T? It seems to be in about the same price range as the General Grabbers. At least the size that I'm looking at.

I tried to find the Toyos first but all of the dealerships around Omaha said they were hard to get a hold of and would be difficult to order in just one or two if I needed a new tire from time to time.

Just got my new set of Hankooks installed today! Awesome tires. Had Hankook Dynamic Radials on the XJ then Wild Countrys then the new 31s from today.

31/10.5/15 Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s. YAY! Road hazard, lifetime rotate/balance and free alignment to boot!

first impressions?

I couldn't believe how quiet they were. I know they're not terribly aggressive, but they're touring tire quiet.
We've not had a chance to experience snow, but she rode the trails in Harlan and did well, and they are excellent in the rain at all speeds, including some speeds you shouldn't be driving an XJ at.

Back