• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear drive shaft with SYE and 8.8

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
As the title says, I have the hack and tap with an 8.8. I have a 3.5" lift with Dodge Ram shackles giving about another 1.5". As well, I am shimmed at 6*.

I have a stock XJ front drive shaft in the rear right now. However, with the adapter that the 8.8 requires, I figured out that the drive shaft is compeltely collapsed. Not even sure how I got it on there. There is no give for me to get it off the axle right now. I am certain that the fact that this drive shaft is bottoming out is causing my shaking issues at speeds over 45 mph.

So, others with this same set up are you running a different vehicle drive shaft, custom shaft, had yours shortened, or just doing nothing at all and running it with no issues.

What is a reasonable price to pay to have a driveshaft shortened?

Thanks!

might want to look into a front shaft from an xj with a manual trans, it will be shorter.

Remove the shaft, have it shortened and rebalnaced install drive away ... should run about $80 for a shorten and rebalance if the shaft is still in good shape (no play in the slip, and ball stud isn't worn). Which is cheaper than a JY shaft here as apparently XJ and ZJ DC shafts are made of Gold ($125 from the JY avg price)

I'm running a shortened ZJ front shaft in mine currently (But I have an A/A SYE and an 8.25).

might want to look into a front shaft from an xj with a manual trans, it will be shorter.

Remove the shaft, have it shortened and rebalnaced install drive away ... should run about $80 for a shorten and rebalance if the shaft is still in good shape (no play in the slip, and ball stud isn't worn). Which is cheaper than a JY shaft here as apparently XJ and ZJ DC shafts are made of Gold ($125 from the JY avg price)

I'm running a shortened ZJ front shaft in mine currently (But I have an A/A SYE and an 8.25).

I'll look into a manual (if I can find one). Drive shafts are about $13.00 here in the pull a parts near me. If I'd have know then....I would have harvested the front DS off my '85 manual tranny before sending her to the yard.

Any other suggestions, I am open to them. Any other DC products that might work? Chrysler or Dodge platforms? I really just need one about an inch shorter.

Which is cheaper than a JY shaft here as apparently XJ and ZJ DC shafts are made of Gold ($125 from the JY avg price)

I got my xj front for $30, you need to find another junk yard...

But as stated, you can go either route, go get a manual front shaft or just take the shaft down to a shop to have em check it out. or if you feel safe driving it, drive the jeep there so they have it to measure themselves.

best way to get it out now is jack up the rear from the body to let the suspension sag

I got my xj front for $30, you need to find another junk yard...

But as stated, you can go either route, go get a manual front shaft or just take the shaft down to a shop to have em check it out. or if you feel safe driving it, drive the jeep there so they have it to measure themselves.

best way to get it out now is jack up the rear from the body to let the suspension sag

this is the common price on this entire Island ... don't forget I'm in canada ... where car parts are made with gold, silver and Platinum ... and even though our dollar is now worth more, prices are the same.

You may need to unbolt the shackles to get the shaft out as well, but if it's fully collapsed you do need to get it out, one wrong hit and it'll crack the t-case shell if there is no room to collapse.

Back