• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn key front end

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Goal:
-33" tires, maybe up to 37"
- trail crawling (avoid spin and hop, but enjoy the challenge)
- street-able (extra car/weekender/road-trip-able) NOT a daily driver/commuter
- confidence/reliability

User:
- weekend warrior group trail runs (don't want to be the guy who holds the group up)
- solo rig trail exploring (need reliability)
- like bolt on mods and PROVEN mods (enjoy wrenching when it goes well/NOT a mechanic and definitely NOT a fabricator)
- would rather buy and bolt on a $1,000.00 proven kit than pull parts at a junk yard, buy a bunch of stuff and make it work.
- wants to enjoy the trail and not worry about the rig

Current:
-'88 XJ, 4.0, 33"x10.5" on stock rims
- D30, non-disco, alloy shafts, bigger u-joints, RE 4.5" + poly spacers, JCR steering, stock power steering, RE short arms and trac-bar.
- ected locker
- this set up has worked and could continue to met my needs. For some reason I feel like I have a small factor of over design

Concerns:
- acceptable but not enjoyable on the street
- creaks, groans and moans on the trail
- wouldn't be shocked if something breaks on the trail
- figure it at about a 7/10 and I'd like a 10+ (confidence/reliability on trial)

What's the short list of proven (slightly overkill, but not buggy) builds for front end set ups? (Would like something that could fit an LJ if my XJ ever dies)

- axle housing/set up
- suspension (springs/control arms)
- steering (tie-rod/drag link) (knuckles)
- power steering set up
- frame connection/reinforcements
- ???

Thoughts/discussion? Assuming high end choice would be a shop built D44 kit

You know that guy that just kinda cruises past you on the trail kinda like "yeah, I got this"

Usually that guy that cruises past you on the trail has a looooot of money in his rig.

I'd say look for a front 9" or get a shop to build you a nice HP44 from a Bronco housing. There is a vendor or two on this site that will build you a nice front end setup for not much money. D44 on 33s is a tad overkill though.

My HP30 is working great on 35's. Truss, RCV's, ARB, 4.56's, Poly Performance 3 link. Steering is 3/4" and 7/8" heims, 1.25" solid tie rod from Iron Rock bent to miss the brackets and diff cover, plus a 1.5" x 0.25" wall drag link welded to it. Soon to have hydro assist. I decided not to skimp on things and got parts that I know would work and be strong. I didn't want to be the guy replacing U-joints and other stuff out on the trail and holding everyone up.

IMAG0295.jpg

need to narrow your tire size down more, 33s vs 37s is a huge difference.

w/33s locked, the d30 is fine. maybe truss it, but not really necessary. some upgraded steering. skids.

frame stiffeners are always a smart choice, regardless of tire size. made a big difference on my jeep.

i hope 1000 isnt your budget, i built mine and i pretty much doubled that. add a whole lot more if you want something new/off the shelf, JUST for the axle.
just beef up your d30 with some good shafts and a truss. maybe do a wj swap and over the knuckle steering. that should put you in the $1200 range or so.

I wouldn't go any larger than a 33 on a dana30 locked, unlock no bigger than a 35. with that said.. if your easy on the throttle you can get away with locked and geared 30 with some spicer 760's and conquer enough to get by.

currie 609 front end ARB with F450 outers. Currie Rockjock 60 rear end.

Back