• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

floppy dash vent

oldcancer

NAXJA Forum User
i was warming up my jeep today (92 2door) and what seems to be a strip of felt or felt-like material blew out of the middle dash vent, and now the vent just constantly faces downwards blowing at the center console....

anyone know what exactly this piece of felt does? or how i could take out the vent to put it back in? (the vent seems to be glued into place or something like that, so i don't want to break it trying to figure out how to take it apart)

The felt is there to seal around the outside of the vent, and it also puts a little resistance on the outside of the vent so when you move it it stays in place. Since yours flew out you can see it doesn't stay anymore. I've never bought replacements but I'm sure you can at a parts store. Almost every car I've ever owned has had those felt strips....

And the vents just pop out, put a little pressure toward a pivot point and pop it out. In my 92 the side vents are vertical so I put a little pressure downwards and the top pops out, make sense?

Id stop by a parts store first before I glue anything permanently... maybe you could get away with a thin bead of silicone on the edge with the vent removed? Not permanent and you could trim it after it dries so the vent moves? Just an idea...

Back