• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding a xj main Leaf to a 4.5in RE leaf pack

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So a few weeks ago I broke the drivers side main leaf on my 4.5in lift RE leaf pack. I am wondering how much more lift you guys would think i would get if instead of replacing the RE main leaf with a stock, if I just cut the eyelets off the RE mains and bolted the stock XJ mains on the pack. I am hoping because the XJ stock main leafs are thinner than the RE's that I would gain roughly +/- 1in. of lift as i needed that to level the rear end anyways.

What are your thoughts? Thanks! :idea:

Id imagine that it would only give you the height of the thickness of the leaf because the arch of the factory spring is for "zero" lift ... so 1/4"... but then when you think about it, "technically" your taking a zero lift main leaf and slapping it on a more arched leaf set, could flatten it out a little? Not sure, just my thoughts

You could mix in a factory leaf pack with the re leaf pack to gain the inch, maybe like 2-3 of the factory leaves in there

It could work out. I haven't looked at a factory leaf pack for a while to see the lengths of them compaired to the re pack. The only thing id be worried about is if you get a saggy stock leaf pack it could end up being flatter that what your looking for.

You'd be adding height because of the thickness of the leaves, but could end up being a flatter pack/ no more lift because of some sag, does that make sense? To put it in better words, I run two xj packs in a bastard pack, its barely arched just like factory springs, but that's how I wanted it, it gave me about 3" of lift with a +1 shackle. Droops very good and has a nice soft feel, unlike an add a leaf which most give a harsh ride with little flex

If the leafs don't add any lift I'm ok with that. As long as it doesn't lose any either. My last camping/wheeling trip of the year is on the 26th of Oct. So I have time to redo it if I need to.

Just kinda wondered if my idea would work and to bounce it off some of you guys.

Since you have some time you could give it a shot and play around with it. It will work, its just a matter of getting it where you want it, and the combo is really unknown till you get it together and see how she sits the first time

your stock main will conform to the RE pack, it will increase your overall spring rate and will net you lift ... how much? Can't say, but when you do it report back so we'll all know.
What you are doing is no different than the typical Dakota (or S10/15, or Explorer ... or, or) based Bastard pack as the same thing happens there ... the stock main is retained and the donor pack has the eyes cut and bolts up.
This was good for 4" even.
IMAG0239.jpg

So, if the base pack is a 4.5" lift pack you'll likely see another 1/2 - 3/4 inch out of it.

Last edited:
your stock main will conform to the RE pack, it will increase your overall spring rate and will net you lift ... how much? Can't say, but when you do it report back so we'll all know.
What you are doing is no different than the typical Dakota (or S10/15, or Explorer ... or, or) based Bastard pack as the same thing happens there ... the stock main is retained and the donor pack has the eyes cut and bolts up.
This was good for 4" even.
IMAG0239.jpg

So, if the base pack is a 4.5" lift pack you'll likely see another 1/2 - 3/4 inch out of it.

I hope so and I will post results this weekend

When I first got this XJ it had stock leaf packs with aal's and blocks. I swapped them out for a pre-made bastard pack that was supposed to be 6in and ended up being 8in. So I swapped that out for this set of RE leafs. I neglected to make sure the steel sleeve was inside the rear bushing when I installed it. The shackle was sandwiching the main leaf all year and bending back and forth every time it flexed. Until it finally broke at the bend while on an RTI ramp.

My first thought was to remove the RE main leafs on both packs and replace them with the stock ones. Then it dawned on me to just leave the RE packs together and just cut the RE mains and add the stock mains to the top. This should remove most of the guess work of blending them together and give a little more lift. Gonna pick up new center pins from 4wheel parts in the morning and fix the packs. I'll post up my results with pics when I get done.

It freakin SUCKS!

With the XJ main leafs on top of the full RE 4.5in packs the rear sits at 7+ in of lift. Because the XJ main leafs are shorter than the RE's my shackles are at 90* angles providing ZERO squat when flexing. I am unable to order just main leafs from anyone.

So now my only options are to pull out the RE main leafs and reinstall them and buy shackle relocation brackets or spend $$$$ on new full leaf packs. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ok, today I'm going to jack it up and pull it all back apart. Going to remove the rubicon express main leaf but retain the rest. Then put it all back together.

Wow...... I posted my last post at 410 pm before I started. I'm not pulling it all apart. I'm actually leaving it on the axle with the bolts still attached in the eyelets. I just took the tires and shocks off, put floor jacks on both sides of the axle, clamped the leaf pack, removed the leaf plate and ubolts, took off the center pin nut and loosened the clamp, lowered the nearest jack and the leafs seperated. Slid out the one to remove, then put it all back together. Flawless. Only took 50min.
Lol at this rate I'll be done in time to watch southpark

Ok all done. Actually it was done about 35min ago (had to shower).

So now it flexs a lot better and it sits about even with the front at 6.25in.

:D

Back