• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to adjust JKS disconnects

yaromb

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to replace my RE fixed sway bar connectors with JKS discos.

How does one adjust the initial length? Is this done with tension on the sway bar mounts? Or do I just adjust the length to fit the Jeep resting on the suspension? These units can be extended (adjusted) all the way to 6" lifts and I need to adjust the length to my lift, which is about 4.5"...

Thanks..

You should have about a 10 or 15 degree slope from the sway bar mount to the point where top of the disconnect connects to the sway bar (if you imagine a straight line from point to point looking at the side)

I think you and I have the same discos. I have 3.5" coils, and I do not have them extended at all, so you might be good at about an inch of extension. Here is how mine set, and rides well:

DSC_5392.jpg

DSC_5391.jpg

I

My angle might be a bit different.

The sway bar connectors where touching the coil when flexing, I had to use the RE swaybar relocator kit. Moves the bushings 2" down and 1" forward.

Only other option was to source a different and/or shorter bar...
Now my front skid plate would not fit anymore...:doh:

I went though this and you won't like the asnwer if you already ordered your discos. I have an RE 5.5 kit with the sway bar drop brackets. I ordered the 6" lift discos and they were to long because of the drop brackets. I luckly found someone on NAXJA that had shorter ones and needed longer ones so we swapped.

I went though this and you won't like the asnwer if you already ordered your discos. I have an RE 5.5 kit with the sway bar drop brackets. I ordered the 6" lift discos and they were to long because of the drop brackets. I luckly found someone on NAXJA that had shorter ones and needed longer ones so we swapped.

You mean the JKS for 4" - 6" is too long if I have the relocation kit, even when fully collapsed?

If that's the case, I might get rid of the blocks and shorten the sway bar, or find another one. It is also on the way of my skid plate, which is annoying...

I can't recall exactly which ones I had, but I had to get shorter ones. I know I didn't order them for an 8" lift lol.

I bet it would be easier to make some plates that move the sway bar forward vs cutting it up. The PO of my jeep did that and it worked but it wasn't ideal and I went with a stock sway bar when I got rid of the horrid first gen RE discos.

You mean the JKS for 4" - 6" is too long if I have the relocation kit, even when fully collapsed?

If that's the case, I might get rid of the blocks and shorten the sway bar, or find another one. It is also on the way of my skid plate, which is annoying...

Take off the relocation kit and run the sway bar links at their normal length. That's what they are made for. Ditch the front skid, it serves no purpose on a lifted rig.

I was running the JKS links with a RE 4.5" lift and they worked perfectly. When I changed the steering, I had to get the raised disco mounts on the axle, so I cut and welded the JKS links to shorten them.

I can't really do that. At the factory length, the top of the links (where they meet the sway bar) would touch the coils, with very little flex. Hence the relocation kit, which moves the bar forward and down...

I'm confused. Are you saying the discos are too long or too short?

If they are too short, cut and weld them back together. If you don't have a welder, I guess suck it up and buy shorter ones? They make a few different lengths. I had them on my 3" lift, then got new ones when I had a 4.5" lift. Then I cut and shortened the long ones.

It's not about the discos - the sway bar ends and enything connected to them are too close to the coil and rubbing, hence the relocation of the swaybar...

It's not about the discos - the sway bar ends and enything connected to them are too close to the coil and rubbing, hence the relocation of the swaybar...

Its a little misleading when the thread title asks how to adjust the disconnects, then you say the swaybar length itself is the problem.

A picture would help much more than whats been previously posted, cuz your saying you have a relocation kit, sway bar links, sway bar is too long, links are too long, skid plate is in the way... confusing? yes.

Can you make a plate to move the swaybar forward without lowering? It would take some fab work but not a ton. You might be able to get your skid back on that way.

Drill two holes in the unibody about an inch forward of the stock sway bar mount holes. Either weld two nuts to a small plate (or just drill and tap the two holes in the plate if it's thick enough), then weld it to the chassis where the holes were drilled.

The question you should ask is why does your sway bar contact your springs now? Is it because you don't have the sway bar angled up enough, like pictured above? If the ends of the swaybar are flat, it'll definitely hit the spring.

Back