• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

android tablet dash mod

JAlVl3Z

NAXJA Forum User
android tablet dash mod off roading, but this is my shock proof android mount.

1. Began with cutting back center vents and sealing completely.
2. Wired for five channel amp under right rear seat.
3. Wired two knobs, which you can see on the left, for master volume and bass control.
4. Charger is wired to ignition. The home button is not accessible with the cover so I wired the momentary button under the knobs to temporarily disconnect power. That allows me to turn the screen on and off as I drive. A relocated home button if you will
5. Made a mock tablet out of wood exactly to dimensions. Along with outline of screen.
6. Cut the rounded screen shape into quarter inch abs.
7. Heat wrapped the abs around the wood mock peace on the bottom and sides. The top is left open to allow the tablet to slide out.
8. Trimmed the dash bezel to allow the screen to be visible.
9. Super glued the mount in place. (Picture 1)
10. Hot glued large gaps.
11. With abs dash mods bond will absolutely crack so I used a 2 part plastic epoxy to mold my shape.
12. Sanded sanded sanded
13. Primer with sand able primer to fill pin holes (picture 2)
14. Painted.
15. Made a custom jeep wallpaper to match dash colors.

Thanks for looking! Next project - molding air tank to left rear quarter panel

1hb51l.jpg

m7dqn9.jpg

3309v2v.jpg

6j3us9.jpg

24b46zt.jpg

Looks great, clean install. Is the reception hindered at all being mounted like that?

Looks great, clean install. Is the reception hindered at all being mounted like that?

Thank you much. It runs directly to a five channel amp. No amfm tuner. I use my phones mobile hot spot for pandora , YouTube, etc. When there is no phone reception I play my music off the internal harddrive.

If your question was about sat reception, i don't have service to it other than the hotspots from my phone. But sat tuners do read through plastics. Not metal

Still a cool concept, the hotspots is a great idea, maybe make some type of cover to deter would be thieves.

Still a cool concept, the hotspots is a great idea, maybe make some type of cover to deter would be thieves.

Good call. I have considered taking the faceplate of the factory radio, glueing the buttons back on and building that onto a cover piece. I'de have to make fake vents though

looks good, its different for sure. im just curious how you came up with it being shock proof?

Have you taken it on a trail thats really bumpy/ washboards? its a great concept but i dont see super glue and hot glue holding it in on a washboard road at 20+ mph... hell i broke an aftermarket cd player mount on a washboard road... stereo fell right inside the dash, and yes it was installed correctly.

looks good, its different for sure. im just curious how you came up with it being shock proof?

Have you taken it on a trail thats really bumpy/ washboards? its a great concept but i dont see super glue and hot glue holding it in on a washboard road at 20+ mph... hell i broke an aftermarket cd player mount on a washboard road... stereo fell right inside the dash, and yes it was installed correctly.

My old cd player dash kit broke too. the metra kit fro the cherokee eventually breaks on the bottom tab first and then the top. 80 percent if not more of my material is a 2 part plastic epoxy rated at 3500 psi. the super glue is a temporary hold before i do the epoxy and the hot glue its to fill holes so the epoxy wont drip through the other side before it sets. Its incredibly riggid, and because i didnt use bondo it wont crack.

Looks awesome! My only concern is the A/C vents. Here in Miami less vents wouldn't be great.

Its not too bad giving up the center vents. Because the center and two side vents are linked, all the pressure is diverted to the sides. They blast super hard now.

That looks awesome.
does it fit rather snug? You said you left the top open so the tablet is removable. Is.there any chance of it bouncing up and becoming cocked/crooked in there?
Definitely kick ass tho.

That looks awesome.
does it fit rather snug? You said you left the top open so the tablet is removable. Is.there any chance of it bouncing up and becoming cocked/crooked in there?
Definitely kick ass tho.

Its super snug and the actual dash holds the top. Doesn't budge and no wiggle room.

That is badass. I have been wanting an android tablet to run my GPS apps when mapping trails. It would be sweet to be able to mount it in the dash.

Great work!

Josh

Wheeling is one of the big reasons I put it in there. I run a trail map, compass and a clinometer. I'm looking into doing a diagnostic bluetooth piece for vehicle info but would rather have one that allows engine mgmt aswell. No luck in my search so far.

That turned out great. What epoxy did you end up using? I've used West System fiberglass before, is it something similar?

That turned out great. What epoxy did you end up using? I've used West System fiberglass before, is it something similar?

Thanks man, I used plastic specific epoxy from ace brand. about $5 a tube and used 6 of them.
I am not too familiar with west systems products but have done a little reading. I wouldn't suggest using anything other than their g-flex epoxy.
The main focus is having the flexibility. Bondo and regular fg resin is strong, but way too brittle for this purpose. there is also minimal 24 hour contraction with the plastic epoxy.

Since i have the older body style XJ, how would your go about installing a 7" tablet? Are there any off the shelf mounts that you would recommend for Off-road use?

Since i have the older body style XJ, how would your go about installing a 7" tablet? Are there any off the shelf mounts that you would recommend for Off-road use?

ive never modded those dashs, even for just a double din. ive looked around for a standard mount for a tablet before though. ive always liked the ram mounts. installed a few for customers and they seem to be pretty rugged. check some of those out

Back