• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help

davidson99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok so ive been driving my jeep for about a year now everyday as my dd no problems. about 2 months ago i started to get a loud pop in my front end when i turn the wheel without moving or moving slowly, i also had a very loud pop when i hit a pot hole or big bump. got to looking and see that my passenger lca was loose. that was the loud pop hitting bumps. i checked the track bar for the popping when turning and its tight. i cant find ANYTHING loose. About a week ago i went from 33/1250 to 33/1050 tires, seems like since i did ive got alot more play in the wheel. i expected a little more but not this much. on county roads or any bumpy roads where i can go 30+ every time i hit a bump or hill and the jeep floats to where the suspension droops down the steering pulls bad. the jeep itself keeps a straight pay but just the wheel turns. its like bumpsteer but it doesnt shake or wobble when i actually hit the bumps. its after the bumps or hills when the front axle drops down. if i have any pressure on the steering wheel at all the wheel will turn almost a 1/4 turn as the axle drops. i checked the angles of the track bar and drag link they both seem to be pretty close. i have the RE drop bracket so to even it out i put on a 1" dpa. im outta ideas. Steering box??? could that be the popping and giving me the play in the steering wheel? :helpme:

Might be your track bar being worn, I can't quite understand what you mean though. Have someone spin the wheel back and forth while you watch the suspension, you can then track down the popping.

I've already tried that. And it didn't work. Nothing was moving. And after RE drop bracket the angles were a little off. The dpa got everything looking better angle wise. I have some pictures on one of my threads somewhere I will try to find it

Hate to sound like a broken record, but trackbar, specifically, the bracket. Look in from the drivers side wheel well as your helper dry steer's it.

Also, check where your steering box mounts, look for cracks. I would recommend checking the inside of the frame rail too, it requires unbolting the steering box, but if you STILL cant find the noise, unbolt it and check!

Hate to sound like a broken record, but trackbar, specifically, the bracket. Look in from the drivers side wheel well as your helper dry steer's it.

Also, check where your steering box mounts, look for cracks. I would recommend checking the inside of the frame rail too, it requires unbolting the steering box, but if you STILL cant find the noise, unbolt it and check!

Alright. Ill be unbolting that anyway to put on my tie ins. Thanks for the tips.

Back