• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to add 3.5" rear bumpstop

djlarroc

NAXJA Forum User
So when flexed out, my rear shocks are 1/2" from bottoming out (they have been bottoming out a lot on wheeling trips), and my factory bumpstop is still 3.75" from hitting top of tube.

Looking at the expensive custom spring plates for around $50. If I add those, they only add 2", so what else can I do? Hate to pay another $40+ for the extended upper bumpstops. Almost $100 in bumpstops seems crazy. What is size of factory bumpstop? 2.5"?

Have any scrap 1x2 Layin around? Take that and weld it to the top of your ubolt plates as a pad for your bumpstops to hit. Cheap ad easy

Have any scrap 1x2 Layin around? Take that and weld it to the top of your ubolt plates as a pad for your bumpstops to hit. Cheap ad easy

so, weld them horizontally above the center of the ubolt plate? pretty good idea. that will add the 2" at ubolt plate, plus whatever the thickness of the tube is. will have to look more into it.

I have these, great product. I paired them up with longer daystar bumpstops in the stock location. I don't remember these plates being so expensive, but you can always just buy the base plates and make your own adjuster pieces, or weld something onto your stock u-bolt plates like mentioned above. Or weld something onto the axle tube to contact the bumptop.

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/dpg-adj-rear-bumpstop-plates-xj/
yep! those are them, only i found them cheaper here: http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/sus...pring-plate-bump-stop-mount-jeep-cherokee-xj/

nice plates, but damn, still gotta drop $50 to get 2", plus add these guys for an extra 1.5" http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=179. Over $100.

Looking at the expensive custom spring plates for around $50. If I add those, they only add 2"

2"?

They add the height of your leaf pack, plus the height of the perch over the axle tube, plus the thickness of the u-bolt plate itself. Are you running a monoleaf setup or something? lol.

you can also space out your factory upper bumpstop pretty easily with some 2x2" square tubing I welded mine, I'm sure you can get bolts to work too.

As pictured you can also stack plates on top of the u bolt plates to get the desired amount of bumpstop. Those are the dpg adjustable bumpstop plates.

310346_517577021604_1214325025_n.jpg

Last edited:
my u-bolt plates (with bumpstop pad) were only about $20 made at a local shop. I plan to add spacers to them as needed and run a slightly longer bumpstop up top (similar to the above pictured one).

DSCN0454.jpg

1/2" steel plate and two hockey pucks and nuts/bolts to secure the pucks. Spent under $10 and it's adjustable by removing pucks.

Had to drill the plate for the leaf spring pin, and shape it a bit to clear the u-bolt nuts.

Top is a "stockish" bump.

Last edited:
very cool man! you still have the plate welded onto the ubolt bracket, right? i dont have a welder, so bolting the pucks would be easy.

you guys should sell these kits for $40. rediculous, other places want $100 for this stuff.

I know for me I just bought welder $1000 so far four projects that I would have paid 100 a piece for plus I welded a friends upper control arm back on I'm halfway there in savings in just a month. Can't believe I waited so long to buy one. And I have used cheap flux core before it should only be used when u need to weld outside far away from your shop.

Back