• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent axle question

wildernessxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a 92XJ and have been working on upgrading it to a reliable wheeler.

I wanted to swap out the Dana 35 rear diff as I understand it's a turd. I found a 2000 8.25 at the wrecker with only 70,000kms on it so I dragged it home for the swap. After bolting everything up it was time for a test drive and I cringed when I heard a grinding noise. I had checked the gears when I had the cover off and all looked good before the install.
Turns out I have a bent pass side axle and the grinding noise was the drum rubbing on the backing
My question is should I just request a replacement axle for the bent one or should I look at getting another complete unit and start all over again. Is there any other areas I should be looking for damage if the axle was bent?

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Thanks K

If it were me, I would find try another axle and see how things sounded. That would be a lot easier than swapping to another 8.25.
The axle's flange was probably bent during the accident that sent the XJ to the wrecker in the first place.
Inspect the axle housing for straightness before changing anything.
Might not be a bad idea to change the axle bearing and seal too.

The money wasn't an issue for me, but I just replaced a bearing, seal and axle and it cost $240. Axle was $115 and then bearing, labor, seal, studs. For $240 you could get an entire new axle from the junk yard. It's just time and finding the thing. Mine is a D44. I hate replacing axles!

I had to replace mine on the 89 due an accident, and the shaft was all it took, plus the seal and bearing, but the backing plate was also bent!!!! That was over 3 years ago, and about 40,000 miles.

Thanks all for the replies. I am waiting for the wrecker to get back to me on what they are willing to do. The housing looks good so I will probably just install a new axle.
Bearings and seals will be done on both sides at the same time so I have no worries while off in the bush. I'm in Western Canada so it seems to be harder to find parts. Quote today for a stock axle was one week and $250. They could get me a set of G2 axles for $180 each but it would be a month for them to get the axles in. I'm trying to find an online dealer that ships to Canada.

Thanks K

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-axle-differential-parts/chrysler814-rear-cherokee.htm

These are stock axle shafts for a little under $140 each. They deliver worldwide and carry just about every part you could want, but that price is before shipping, of course. Sorry if Morris 4x4 is common knowledge that everyone knows about, but I just thought I'd be helpful and point it out since you are looking for this part. I feel like I've seen some axle shafts even cheaper somewhere else online, but I can't remember for certain and this was the best price on one I could find quickly.

Oh yeah, and it looks like they charge a flat rate of $24.99 for shipping each axle, so you'd still be a little under that $180 mark you mentioned.

Back