• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ - Dana 30 Disco "clicking" noise

NCSU90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have what I will call a "clicking" noise coming from what sounds to be the drivers side wheel area when making sharp right or left hand turns. I changed out both axle U-Joints last weekend thinking that was it, but it [noise] is still there. No noise when going straight. Vacuum disco sytem is working fine. At this point, I am thinking it is in the diff, but I have not pulled the cover. Never been into the diff other than to change fluid. Totally stock D30 disco open diff. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'd say you should replace both hub unit bearing assemblies.
eBay is WAY cheaper than parts stores.

Have u changed driveshaft U joints?

Check the ball joints & tie rod ends for play too while you're in there.

One more thing....
Listen carefully, the front driveshaft Double Cardan CV joint will make a clicking sound when it's bad. Put it in 4wd, go slow hanging your head out the door or have a friend listen for you.

You gotta be 100% sure where the clicking is coming from.

If its NOT the axle U joints, it's either

-Hub
-driveshaft CV or driveshaft U joint at the pinion

Thanks...When I replaced the u-joints, I checked over the hub bearings and they both seemed to be in good shape. Since I have the disco D30, the front driveshaft does not turn when in 2WD, so I can rule that out......

I have what I will call a "clicking" noise coming from what sounds to be the drivers side wheel area when making sharp right or left hand turns. I changed out both axle U-Joints last weekend thinking that was it, but it [noise] is still there. No noise when going straight. Vacuum disco sytem is working fine. At this point, I am thinking it is in the diff, but I have not pulled the cover. Never been into the diff other than to change fluid. Totally stock D30 disco open diff. Any ideas? Thanks!

I had that exact same problem with my 87, I chased my tail looking into the entire rear area of the jeep, finally discovered it was the front drive shaft U-joint! Could have sworn the sound was the from rear of the jeep!!!! Did you do one axle, or the front and the rear?

Also check the wheel lug nuts....had loose nuts do that too.

This ended up being lot easier fix that I though. Put some grease on the outer surface of the rotor where it matches up to the wheel and around the area where the hub nut is and noise is now gone.

Sounds like your lug nuts were loose, as you greased two parts that are held together with the lug nuts! Not sure why you greased those surfaces, but if it worked...

Double check the torque on the lug nuts though....to be sure they're tight!

Back