• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing Situation

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
Here is where my '94 4.0 is at as of this afternoon. I finally got the dizzy stabbed to a 5 o'clock position per se. Its starting, and running, but I don't think its quite there just yet. Upon locating my timing light, I fired the Jeep up and the light hits at the mark between 8 and 15. While it was idling it seemed to advance further up the marks, then dropped back down. When I idle it up, it seems to retard closer to 0, but its not real smooth during that acceleration. If I need to move the dizzy some more, I have the holddown snug, but not wrench tight yet. If it needs to move, do I go towards the 6 o'clock one tooth or towards 4 o'clock one tooth, and why?? I do want to put a big thanks out to those that helped me get it running like it was before. I am concerned that I have a timing chain issue, since I had it running before, but it wasn't easy to start, whereas now it starts pretty quick, but it seems to be running a tad rough. I am working to post up a video of it running so you all can tell me what's not going right.

Jeff

Try to advance the distributor 1 tooth towards 6 oclock. Mine was the same as yours. I advanced it the one tooth ans it starts easy and runs great.

Update. I took it for a short trip. I couldn't go over 15 mph, lacks power and when giving it has it really seemed like it wasn't even doing anything. It was running rough, and being cold for over 24 hours was hard to get it started. Next step?? I'll try and get the video posted of how it's running.

The location of the distributor/rotor does not have any effect on timing. That is set by the CPS. It does however have an effect on whether or not the rotor is lined up with the contact inside the distributor cap. It sounds like you have a simple distributor indexing problem. Try pulling the distributor and rotating the rotor one tooth one way and if that does not fix it, go the other way.

Here is a slow to come update. I have replaced the TPS, restabbed the dizzy several more times. Still not starting. I tested the fuel system pressure, its around 31psi when the key is first turned on. During cranking, it goes up to 40 psi. After letting off the starter, it drops down to about 34psi. All plug wires are in the correct positions, and all are getting spark. What else should I be checking?? I am going to start restabbing the dizzy now, till I get a position that yields me a starting, running specimen. Thoughts on something that I am missing as well??

Jeff

Its hitting between 10 and the next mark up. Its not starting or even hinting at starting. I will post up a set of pics of two of the 6 spark plugs....

Jeff

Back