• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One side is bigger than the other? axle shaft end?

Nova Wake

NAXJA Forum User
I had a broken axle shaft on my 1988 jeep comanche(right side) and went to the junk yard to get a replacement, They had one on the shelf and i replaced it. The shaft its self is fine and the same size and 4x4 works but the end where the u-joint is seems to be a shade or two thicker than the other side. It also knocked the grease nipple off the balljoint. other than that there are no noises or problems. Is this an issue? I can snap a picture today when its light out.

That must be it, cause it is definitely thicker from the axle outward.

new one
IMG_2091.jpg

stock one
IMG_2092.jpg

early shafts were 260x sized joints. Late shafts are 297x sized joints, regardless of ABS or not.

if you have a disconnect axle you can get shafts from a 95YJ with the CAD to keep it and get the large u joints.

Otherwise, discard the CAD, install a new seal in the housing and put a block off plate on it and get a solid passenger side shaft.

^ agreed.

Some axleshafts (stock ones, even) will not fit some CAD delete kit seals. I found this out through experience a few months ago at NEA Fall Crawl when we had to do a trail repair on a YJ that'd blown a passenger side axleshaft. Turns out the older style axleshafts with the splines on both ends and the pressed on ujoint yoke (whether small or large ujoint, doesn't matter) have a larger diameter shaft down to where the material necks down for the splines, and will not fit through the seal on a CAD deleted axle, while the newer single-piece forging shafts fit great. Just something to keep in mind while shopping for axleshafts to use for the conversion.

The two piece ones with the pressed on yoke suck anyways, from my experience and also that of others, iirc GrimmJeeper said he blew up more of those than one piece forgings.

are you sure it's the seal keeping it from fitting and not the bearing? there's a roller bearing in the CAD area i believe.

Whatever it was, it was at the depth of the CAD housing and wasn't letting the shaft through for any reason. He'd already done the CAD delete and had been wheeling it that way for some time so I doubt the bearing, if ever present, was still in there.

That being said, I haven't been inside a CAD axle housing aside from swapping that axleshaft, so all I know is that it didn't fit and the later style non-disco, one piece shaft fit like it was meant to.

Older Dana 30s used a 760x size axle joint.

Newer, I think around '97 bumped up to a 297x size slightly larger U joint. The yoke is beefier
And stronger than the older style shaft.
It's actually an upgrade, id get another newer shaft for the other size too and throw some good Spicer Life Series Joints in there.

Older Dana 30s used a 760x size axle joint.

Newer, I think around '97 bumped up to a 297x size slightly larger U joint. The yoke is beefier
And stronger than the older style shaft.
It's actually an upgrade, id get another newer shaft for the other size too and throw some good Spicer Life Series Joints in there.
this is all wrong, like Vanimal said.

Back