• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanting to build an xj, got some questions.

ezalycasaid

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but Im new to this forum couldnt find the idiots guide to xj building section. (the idiot being me) Im wanting to build an xj, my plan is to get a 1990 and new non working 4.0 and automatic. For about $400, swap in a newer 4.0 for $400.. With a np231 or np242. If it comes with a d35, ill scrap it and swap in a 44, a 8.25, or an 8.8. Keep the hp d30. Put 4.88s, lincoln lock the rear. Front is undecided for locker. Hydro assist up front, relocate axle side track bar mount, and do the reid knuckle passenger side conversion. Long arm front. About a 4" lift and LOTS of trimming and chop top rear. Frame stiffiners, junkyard sping lift front and rear. 14" travel shocks f/r. Roll cage, boatside, beater. Ill be doing all my own tube/fab/gear work. My questions are, How hard is it to swap a 4.0 motor for a newer 4.0 motor? Ive done a 22re, for newer 22re swap before on an automatic toyota. Are we talking harder or about the same in difficulty? Also any holes in my build plan you can see that will run me into complications in this build please let me know. It will be trailer queened, 35s-37s, and purpose built for rock crawling. Also anyone ever do a build like this and what was your final $ total. Im wanting to stay under $3500.
Thank you guys in advance for all the info you can provide.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but Im new to this forum couldnt find the idiots guide to xj building section. (the idiot being me) Im wanting to build an xj, my plan is to get a 1990 and new non working 4.0 and automatic. For about $400, swap in a newer 4.0 for $400.. With a np231 or np242. If it comes with a d35, ill scrap it and swap in a 44, a 8.25, or an 8.8. Keep the hp d30. Put 4.88s, lincoln lock the rear. Front is undecided for locker. Hydro assist up front, relocate axle side track bar mount, and do the reid knuckle passenger side conversion. Long arm front. About a 4" lift and LOTS of trimming and chop top rear. Frame stiffiners, junkyard sping lift front and rear. 14" travel shocks f/r. Roll cage, boatside, beater. Ill be doing all my own tube/fab/gear work. My questions are, How hard is it to swap a 4.0 motor for a newer 4.0 motor? Ive done a 22re, for newer 22re swap before on an automatic toyota. Are we talking harder or about the same in difficulty? Also any holes in my build plan you can see that will run me into complications in this build please let me know. It will be trailer queened, 35s-37s, and purpose built for rock crawling. Also anyone ever do a build like this and what was your final $ total. Im wanting to stay under $3500.
Thank you guys in advance for all the info you can provide.

Are you planning on using a 99 or older engine or a 2000-2001? I beleave it would not be that hard if 99 and older although I have not done this myself. 2000 and up does not have a distributor so I think that would be harder. Main thing is the electronics and getting the computer calibrated. I wouldnt lincoln lock the rear go for a spool they are cheap and will not have to worry about it breaking. If your going to run 35s-37s use a 8.8 and nothing else and change your D30 to non disconect with a solid shaft on the passenger side. Do not do a hack n tap although I have one rather spend the cash and do a SYE. Your rig will most likely come with a NP 231 but if it has a NP242 stick with that and get your SYE from Tom Woods. 4.88 gears sounds good thats what I want when I step up to 35's.

Back