• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to find '97 4X4 under engine splash shield

Jim D.

NAXJA Forum User
Did a quick forum search; if this was there, I missed it. '97 Cherokee Sport, 5 spd w/Up Country suspension and 5 speed. The rubberized/fabric splash shield under the engine on my Jeep is very tired. Shops have tried more than once to leave it off; I've insisted on keeping it; patched it more than once. Has to be good to keep water & mud from splashing up into the engine compartment. My local (Carlsbad, CA) Jeep dealer says the part is discontinued by Jeep. Does anyone know where I can get one (short of making one myself, or I guess, once again patching up the one I have)? Thanks.

Dealerships will tell you that something is discontinued when they are too lazy to look for one in another zone or warehouse. You will have to try other areas or states. There are numerous on-line Dealership Parts Department that will try to track down discontinued parts for you. You can always haunt the local junkyards and look for a replacement. Most people just throw them away.

Jeeps Are Us carries them, though they appear to have gone up in price.

Try looking here http://www.jeepsareus.com/c/CHEROKEE.html

If your old one is still somewhat together, use it as a template so you can make one out of a semi truck mud flap, or piece of an old converyor belt from a supermarket remodel.

Just use some form of mat. I have heard of people using a tractor trailer mud flap. I'm using some kind of rubber mat that came in a roll from ACE. The size I needed was around $3.

get a cheap bed mat, lay your old one over it and trace it out, cut it out and there you go........

I've patched mine several times by using aluminum flashing on both sides of the rips and holes, held together with aluminum rivets w/backup washers and Goop exterior glue.

I finally got tired of doing that and just took it off. I made a shield to protect the alternator using 18ga galvanized sheet metal then painted it. It's running about 2-3 degrees cooler now and I hope that it will work when I go hunting this year and have to run through water filled ruts...we'll see.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll call jeepsareus. With this in mind, and seeing their parts diagrams, does someone have a website source for Jeep detailed exploded parts diagrams, ala www.realoem.com for BMW?
I have found a few Jeep dealerships that use the upgraded Trademotion system that show diagrams.

If you need to have OEM parts, I would recommend investigating Airpark Chrysler Jeep Dodge. I have used them for years and Jim Leonard there has done research to see what may be out of production but still on a shelf some place. With shipping and the discounted price (not list) I have found them to be very reasonable. Another site is http://teamcherokee.com/ although they carry both OEM and Aftermarket so you have to read things carefully. They do not hide the information. I have had good success with them as well.

From Airpark's website:
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/19...teid=213948&vehicleid=1180415&diagram=WB97046

you can find all of mine in the trash can... kidding. some of mine were removed by the previous owners.

Back