• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Mod

100kJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Just removed the headliner because it was sagging. Then I found that the the liner above the divers visor was soaked - and it hadn't rained for a day or so. After I took it out, i noticed that a lingering smell was gone too. It's been raining all day today and I could not find the leak tonight (did not drive it today), but I did notice condensation on the inside of the steel roof. Temperature outside varies from the low to high 60's (NY, fall). The windshield was replaced a few years ago too.

So... Two things, is the condensation on the inside of the roof normal?

Next, thinking about removing the roof (cut out up to the door frames and as wide front to back the width of the doors) above the front and back seats - leaving the A and B frames intact. Will this affect the structural integrity? Anyone have any pics of this type of modification?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Roof Mod (repost, title correction)

Yes, losing that much roof is going to affect considerably. Going to need to put in a cage for that kind of mod. If you search around on here there was a member that modified a tonnau cover from an s10 (IIRC) to create a safari roof. He was featured in JP mag I think.

Thanks. Will search for that picture. Will certainly post it as well.

Much appreciated!

PM detours(mark) he has that safari roof on his XJ and it's sweet but he also has a full cage in his XJ as well.

No way around it I suppose. Will need to reinforce the roof.

What if I just cut out the sheet steel areas and weld a rectangle of support around the full roof.

Think that'll work?

No way around it I suppose. Will need to reinforce the roof.

What if I just cut out the sheet steel areas and weld a rectangle of support around the full roof.

Think that'll work?

It's far easier to just put a cage in it.

Then you can do whatever you'd like with the roof.

I'm no engineer, but I imagine that if you remove that much material you are going to greatly affect the tortional rigidity. Even with reinforcement around the hole, you are going to get a bunch of twisting.

Back