• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering

morgan320i

NAXJA Forum User
so my steering seems SUPER sesitive like i barly move the wheel and the car moves scary sensitive at high speeds, is this normal the truck is new to me so i am not sure, def not like my f250 or any car iv drivin

IMG_2445.jpg

Thats quite a ride height. Still have the stock pitman arm coming off the steering box?

From the looks of it, your caster is out, looks to be in the 2-3 degree range. That'll do it, then add no sway bar which'll add to the body roll while trying to keep it straight. while you're at it and check your Toe in as well, if that way out it'll get ... well ... lets say a 'little' squirrely at speed.

If you have adjustable arms, either shorten the uppers, or lengthen the lowers to bring the caster back to 4-6 degrees (I'm at 5-ish and she's a lot more stable than my first test run at 2 degrees ... which was a two fisted, full strength, hell ride I never want to redo). You want to roll the axle forward on it's axis a little.

what tire pressure are you at as well as the above? I know once I get above a certain pressure (30psi for my XJ, and 35psi for my wifes JKU (on toyo MT load range E tires)) it gets really squirrely on the highway ... pretty much like what you describe.

From the looks of it, your caster is out, looks to be in the 2-3 degree range. That'll do it, then add no sway bar which'll add to the body roll while trying to keep it straight. while you're at it and check your Toe in as well, if that way out it'll get ... well ... lets say a 'little' squirrely at speed.

If you have adjustable arms, either shorten the uppers, or lengthen the lowers to bring the caster back to 4-6 degrees (I'm at 5-ish and she's a lot more stable than my first test run at 2 degrees ... which was a two fisted, full strength, hell ride I never want to redo). You want to roll the axle forward on it's axis a little.

X2...adjust the caster and check your toe-in.

OK, that rules that out, adjusting your caster is either in the arms (upper, or Lower, or both), or you can add shims to the lower rear mount brackets (unless it's a long arm).
Do you have adjustable control arms on that? The uppers will be easier to shorten as there is less tension on them. going by guess on what is there. Can you snap a picture of the control arms from the side and then we can help with how to adjust from there.

Possibly Negative?

Well I just had mine aligned it handles like a dream on the highway up to 75mph on 33's with 2o Positive Caster. My camber is in spec and I run a little bit extra toe-in. I have no wear or handling issues.

The second or lower pic posted though it almost appears to be at zero or negative caster, and that would certainly be sketchy as it does not try to center but drift off the road. Toe out could be a factor also. Either way, at that much lift and no swaybar, any move you make is going to be aggravated by the sloppy body roll.

Maybe someone else up in the 6.5" range can comment about the steering and trackbar at that much lift - to be anywhere near aligned you would have to unscrew the draglink/tierod way out to near thread end, and have the ends in a bind at rest.

I ran 8" of lift with that steering and 5.5 degrees caster and it drove great. Now I swapped to hysteer and over axle track bar and had to add 2 degrees extra with no sway bar. I run extra toe in also around .35 degrees. Caster makes a HUGE difference...

Back