• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knuckles are worn out. Now what?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
So, my Dana 30's knuckles are worn out where the brake pads ride, creating excess clearance.
This causes two noises, which bug me. One, when cold the left side pads will grab on the rotor sometimes and knock into the knuckle and rebound, grabbing again. A rhythimc clunk clunk clunk.
Two, whenever I hit the brakes I get a single "clunk".

As I see it, I've got a few options.
First, spend time & energy welding on & trying to repair the current knuckles. I'd clean them up & build onto them with weld, then file it smooth. Low dollar, high labor, uncertain results.

Second, I can go WJ swap. I've already got the knuckles under the bench, but I'm still about $500 from complete - and that is assuming my wheels clear. I've got 15" factory alloys, with 1.25" spacers under the work bench. Might be more like $800 on the low side to get this done.

Third, I can do something exotic like the Vanco 15" swap or a Reid Racing 30 / 44 hybrid axle. At least as much money as the WJ swap, I'd think.

It's my DD. I want less noise, more braking performance (always) and more reliability. What would you do?

EDIT: D'oh. Title should read "worn" out, not "work". Duh.

Last edited:
Re: Knuckles are work out. Now what?

you should be able to grab a couple used stock knuckles for pretty darn cheap or free from a member. i've thrown some away. just another option.

I too, had the exact same issue you're experiencing.

There are stainless steel....I believe they're SS...shims (they clip onto the "ears" of the brake bads and make up the worn clearence) available....they actually came with a set of pads I had purchased and were in different thicknesses.

I had considered welding up the worn areas too but, this was a lot easier.

Besides, chances are a junkyard set of knuckles would be just as worn and a lot of work to replace and.......I'm kind of lazy.

Hans

you can try using the steel overriders from an '06 TJ rear disc brake hardware kit ... IIRC from my last front pad repalce there might be enough room to use them ... and as Oatmeal said if they work they'll solve the issue for good.

you can see them here (these are on the rear but they serve teh same purpose there as well)
Raybestos part number H5695A disc brake hardware kit.
IMAG0374.jpg

They are also common to the Ford Explorers rears as well. Think I paid $9 for the kit, so minus the inflated Canadian price and it should run you about $5 to try. 1 kit will service both sides (4 shims).
If you try it and it works report back for sure, hell of a lot easier than the current weld or replace method.

Last edited:

autozone sells clips for like $.99 or spend the 5 minutes to weld and sand smooth.

you can try using the steel overriders from an '06 TJ brake hardware kit ... IIRC from my last front pad repalce there might be enough room to use them ... and as Oatmeal said if they work they'll solve the issue for good.

you can see them here (these are on the rear but they serve teh same purpose there as well)
Raybestos part number H5695A disc brake hardware kit.
IMAG0374.jpg

They are also common to the Ford Explorers rears as well. Think I paid $9 for the kit, so minus the inflated Canadian price and it should run you about $5 to try. 1 kit will service both sides (4 shims).
If you try it and it works report back for sure, hell of a lot easier than the current weld or replace method.
Yeah, my Explorer rear brakes on my XJ uses those.....good to finally have a part number, thanks! :)

Hans

it's worth a shot, I've thought about it myself (more so because I can't weld anyway) but decided I'm going the WJ route so never bothered.

And I kept the tabs from my brake parts kits doing the rears as I spent 2 hrs with a parts lady trying to find them ... don't want to smash my head against the counter that much ever again.

I have welded and grinded about 4 sets of knuckles (I keep breaking them :gee: ) it doesn't really take long and can be done on the vehicle.

Weld & grind. Ideally, use the right rod for cast iron, but pretty much anything to build up the gouges & worn down area. Don't bother with a file, or a sander, a $20 HF angle grinder fills the bill.

Agreed on weld and grind... many people here have done it without problems.

Aren't the knuckles cast steel not cast iron? When I did it on a set, my fluxcore did a very nice bead with no cracking or issues.

Might be steel, don't remember. Weld & grind works.

The knuckles are cast steel.

And fwiw the vanco kits are no longer available.

if I were in your position I would be more inclined to go with the reid knuckles and convert to 44 outters, you get lockouts and slight better braking to start with.

if I were in your position I would be more inclined to go with the reid knuckles and convert to 44 outters, you get lockouts and slight better braking to start with.
Kind of an expensive solution just to get rid of a little clunking in the front end, don't you think?

Hans

That's how all my major upgrades went...
I really like those Reid Racing knuckles but, they're definitely not in my budget (not a fan of unit bearings).

I really like this conversion: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1062525

My buddy has all the parts (caliper brackets, calipers, hub/rotors spindles and stub shafts) I need to go this route then just need to get some dual pattern shafts for my D44.....that way my Bronco and Jeep can share the same wheels/tires if need be. :D......I already have Ford (Explorer) brakes in back, why not up front too? :)

Hans

Back