• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Walker Valley ORV Area CLOSED due to FIRE

Joy and I were out at Walker on Saturday riding around on the dirt roads, learning how to get around and exploring new areas. On our way out we were passed by Fire/Rescue crews responding to a Wild Fire. I did have a camera with me, but didn't think to snap photos of the smoke.

Today, I found the following online: http://washingtondnr.wordpress.com/

The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has closed the Walker Valley off-road vehicle (ORV) recreational area due to fire danger. A twenty-four-acre wildfire burning on DNR lands east of Mt Vernon, in Skagit County, threatens the safety of those using the popular ORV trails.
The thirty six miles of trails were closed to public access on Sunday, October 7 and will remain closed until Monday, October 15. The wildfire, which started Saturday, is burning in an area recently logged, as well as older standing timber. The fire was 50 percent contained by Sunday evening. The fire has a high potential for renewed growth because of the heavily wooded conditions and the presence of slash piles.​
“We are asking for everyone’s patience as we get this fire under control,” said Laurie Bergvall, State Lands Assistant Regional Manager for DNR “As soon as the fire conditions will allow safe return we will open up the Walker Valley ORV area.”​
For updates check http://www.dnr.wa.gov/recreation

That's 2 of my favorite areas to wheel that have been closed due to fire. The other one is the Table Mountain Fire which appears to be consuming the Liberty area trails. Great, now all we need is for Naches to go up in smoke.

Please, be careful with those cigarette butts and other sources of ignition!

Thanks for posting! Hopefully it's open on the 20th as I will be there

Back