• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 running really hot! 260+

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I went wheelin last Friday and for some reason my B&M tranny temp gauge was in the red all day, just barely. My tranny never runs hot. It always stays in the 170 range. I have the Hayden "stacked plate" 30,000gvwr cooler in it. I ran the E fan all day and it was a cool day in the 60's.

I always will get a little hot billy goating up this trail in 2-low but it spiked out early for some reason. I babied it all day staying off the big rocks and just trail riding while all the other kids got to play, bummer.

So what can be causing this just out of the blue?

The tranny shifts fine and I never once really thought it was hot other than the gauge reading. The fluid looks/smells good.

I drove it around yesterday and it stayed in the normal range.

1996 4.0/AW4/NP231 w/Tera 2-low. 190,000 miles on it

I'm suspecting a bad sender but if that checks out, where do I go from there?

Trans cooling line crimped/crushed?

I didn't see anything but it is possible. I have eliminated all of the steel lines and I go with flex all the way back to the tranny. The only section of the lines that I was unable to visually inspect is where the lines meet the cooler. The cooler is mounted in the middle of the condenser/radiator.

I plan on pulling the grill out this week but to do that the winch has to be moved.

I found that the top hose to the cooler(output side of the tranny) was crimped in one spot and had too tight of a bend in another. Fixed the crimped issue and added a piece of split hose to the underside of the tight bend then supported the hose with some zip ties.

The fluid was dark as it always is from this high mileage XJ but it did not smell burnt. I drained and refilled. Will run a month or so then flush it this winter when the Jeep is not in use.

I found that the sender wire was not tight on the sender so I fixed that. I really think the loose sender wire was the true issue.

Just thought I would follow up in case someone searches.

Thanks for the update. How did the line get damaged?

Its a "routing" issue. Need to re-route so that the lines do not run under the Rad/Condenser

I'm going though the larger holes in the front crossmember then up to the cooler. When I routed the lines 5 years ago I did not have an aftermarket bumper on the rig so space was tight behind the stock bumper. With the Logans winch bumper I have plenty of room and protection.

Back