• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accessories Won't Power Off

luvherinmyjeep32

NAXJA Forum User
89 XJ, 4.0L, AW4

Always fighting electrical gremlins be it the CPS wires, the front end lighting harness connector, or the sentinel switch that I finally removed.

The newest development is my jeep seems to think I enjoy having power sent to the radio, wipers, lights, and heater when I have the jeep turned off and the key out of the ignition.

These things are not on, but power is being sent to them. I mean when the key is out I can turn on my lights, wipers, or blower if I wanted to.

This of course is killing my battery.

I did notice the fuel pump is only on when I turn the key like it should be.

This jeep is about one more electrical problem from the grave!

Right now I have the ignition switch unplugged and removed, which is eliminating the ignition switch and the key cylinder from the problem the way I see it.

The heavy brown wire that goes to the ignition switch shows signs of burning and melting the plastic connector at the switch.

The brown and red wires at the switch currently have power to them at all times.

So do I have a relay stuck on somewhere? What's going on here?

Thanks,

Josh

If things are melted..... Replace them. The ignition switch is just a set of contacts inside that plastic. If the wires look burn and the connectors are melted it's a good bet that the ignition switch is toast.

I'm replacing the ignition switch but with the switch removed and the problem still existing I need to find the other end of that brown wire and figure out what's wrong on that end.

Back