• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Dif

csmallwood

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought my first and second XJ, My 96 is a getting in the hills buggy and My 99 (x Corps of Engineers) is my everyday rider that has positive traction, I need a positive traction for the rear of the 96, what do I look for?

Assuming you dont allready have a limited slip rearend, pickup a lunchbox locker for it... A "posi trac" is better than an open diff, but if your gonna pay to have one installed, might as well get a full on locker.

Full carrier lockers/lsd's require re-setting up your gears... something reserved for those with high levels of mechanical aptitude, however a lunchbox locker, a locker that fits INSIDE the regular carrier you have now, replacing the spider gears, is much easier for the casual jeeper to install.

NO LSD's, unless its an absolute road warrior.

IF you have a worn out lsd now (check the glovebox for an oil additive sticker, or lift the rear tires, and spin one tire --if the other spins the SAME direction, youve got an LSD--), you cant fit most lunchbox lockers inside this carrier, and will have to swap rear ends, or re-do your gears.
Hope that helps, welcome to the site.

Back