• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 cherokee gas gauge inop sometimes

The PCM continually monitors the fuel tank sending unit, then sends the proper messages to the instrument cluster. I would guess that when it does not work , it is probably due to one of three things.

1.The sending unit, which I believe is part of the fuel pump, is not sending a signal, or there is a poor wire connection between sending unit and PCM.

2. Poor instrument cluster connection at back of cluster connector. Tap, press, all around on your instrument cluster when it fails and see if it starts working.

3. Poor gauge connection on the cluster itself. Again, rap on the cluster gauge to see if it restores operation.

I seriously doubt there is any type of problem with the PCM itself.

My guess is that scenario #2 is the most likely problem.

When it fails, you can run the cluster actuator test to see if cluster gauges respond.
Begin the test with the ignition switch in the Off position.
Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On position, but do not start the engine.
Release the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
Fuel gauge should read E for 4 seconds, then 1/2 Full for four seconds, then Full for 4 seconds, then 1/2 Full for four seconds, then E for 4 seconds.

Also, run the test when everything is working ... you will see all of the cluster gauges, and indicators get tested. That way you will know what to expect when you run the test when the problem appears.

Last edited:
have you ever changed the fuel pump? there's a spade connector on the sending unit in the tank that came loose on mine after i changed the pump. fixed that and it's good to go.

Thanks, I ran the cluster test. Now I will see what it does the next time it does not work, and the fuel pump has not been changed yet. I may do some wire investigating over the weekend.

Same thing happens intermittently (3-4 times a year) on my 2001, I am pretty sure it is the instrument cluster connection, when I tap the cluster it starts reading again.

Back