• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door pockets vs. door pouches

Danger Dave

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve been kind of looking around for Limited front door panels so I can have front door pockets. I’m used to them in my work vehicle for handy items like a flashlight, spare magazines, grab & go first aid pouch and such. While I might not carry all the same items in my Jeep, they are handy. I did find an add-on pocket on JC Whitney’s web site; I’m not sure how it would hold up. I saw the Molle panel made for a Wrangler rear door panel. I have a few Molle pouches and others are not too expensive. Has anyone seen, or done, such a mod?

My 2nd gen XJ doesn't have door pockets on any doors, and I'm pretty sure my 1st gen didn't either.

I would suggest a flashlight mount down by the seat and make a spot for the first aid kit near the drive if its of concern to have it close-by. I typically find having everything in a single bag riding behind my seat is sufficient. I can reach it when needed, move it when I haul crap or people, and they can do the reaching from there while I drive.

Share some pictures if you come up with something creative.

most of the earlier xjs had these.

What year is yours? you might be able to swap the whole door panel.

Yeah I've seen the door pockets you're talking about.

Definitely easiest to just swap the whole panel. I think they were molded into the door panel. Can't remember.

My 92 has door pockets, and they are molded into the panel. They aren't very wide at all I think your time is better spent making some custom. Some different options:

Jimmydaux makes an aftermarket set, with a provision for holding a beverage. Much larger than my original ones.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=992734

The molle panel you are referring you is part of a line by Smittybilt. The G.E.A.R. seat covers might be what you are looking for as well. From what I can tell, they include molle pouches, which is worth the price of the covers alone. I am like you, I have pouches left and right and have thought hard about these seat covers.
http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/53.htm

I have them on my '91 and they are narrow, and if you do load them up and shut the door you might just pop off the panel, it only uses the plastic push pins to mount. The space alongside the doorjams on the carpet is quite useable though, take a look. ;-)

Dig my Jimmy Door Pockets, lightweight, strong and deep enough to hold all sorts of goodies, and the bottle holder bonus.

I thought about them for a while. I did some searching around and door pockets from other cars are removable and all it would require is to just screw them on. I can't remember exactly which ones but the ones that come to mind are Mazda 626's and 80's Camaro's.

the problem with ahving too many crap catchers, is then you end up carrying a bunch of crap

heheh reminds me of the opening scene from Hot Shots, when "Mailman" rolls his jet and all the change and crap is rolling around in the canopy hehe.

Back