• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keyless entry reprogram

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ 4.0 AX15

so when i bought this jeep it didnt have the keyless entry remote but it does have key less entry. i bought a new one off ebay for 10 bucks and did some digging around on how to program it. it turns out the only way it can be reprogrammed is with a DRBIII scan tool. So i called up my local Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership (more like stealership) and they said they wanted 55 bucks to which i said no thank you. it seems extremely unreasonable to ask for 55 dollars for a simple reprogram which doesn't sound like a very involved process at all in fact i know it takes less than 5 minutes anyway is there any way to do this without that tool is maybe somewhere that doesnt have such an outrageous price?

Try another Jeep dealership or better yet, try contacting a Chrysler dealership instead for a quote. They have the same diagnostic tools that would work on your XJ, and could charge you less....

You might also try your local community college. I currently attend an automotive program at my local school and we have a DRB III and offer service and repair work to the public at a greatly reduced price.

I paid $50 for a key FOB and $50 to have it programmed, seem like it's the going price. I have to be damned near next to the Jeep for it to work and it eats batteries for a living. I quit using it...hope you have better luck.

Try another Jeep dealership or better yet, try contacting a Chrysler dealership instead for a quote. They have the same diagnostic tools that would work on your XJ, and could charge you less....

all the dealers near me are Chrysler, Jeep Dodge and RAM are under 1 roof

You might also try your local community college. I currently attend an automotive program at my local school and we have a DRB III and offer service and repair work to the public at a greatly reduced price.

hmmm that actually gives me an idea maybe ill pay a visit to my high school auto tech teacher when i am back home and see if he has a DRBIII handy

You might have cheaper results by finding someone parting one out in craigslist. Have them send you the fobs and the control module. They'll already be paired and it's plug and play.

Find an old smaller former Jeep dealer and ask if they still can. I had mine done for $20 cash at a small dealership that lost their franchise to a bigger dealership chain.

sorry to thread-jack, but it's directly related...

I picked this up a while ago
jk87qo.jpg

And today I got the key-fob remote out of 99 Grand at the junk yard,

So my questions are:
1st. Is the wiring in the headliner already so I can just plug it in?
2nd. If that plugs n plays, will I be able to head to the local place for programming?

jk87qo.jpg

So my questions are:
2nd. If that plugs n plays, will I be able to head to the local place for programming?

That looks like an old style IR type (like pre 96. Actually I think it may have been even a few years before that.). The new style RF transmitters (97+) will not work with it.

yeah i grabbed one outta a XJ that i thought was a 99 couldnt tell because it didnt have taillights headlights or doors it looked like the one u took out Bbasso i plugged it in and my truck went nuts horn was blaring and doors were locking and unlocking...

For what it is worth, I eventually gave up and just installed an aftermarket kit. It works great, the range is excellent and the batteries last forever.

Bulldog KE-1702, $70, comes with 2 remotes and I used this excuse to upgrade my '90 XJ doorlocks as shown in FAQ section. Works great!

1999 XJ 4.0 AX15

so when i bought this jeep it didnt have the keyless entry remote but it does have key less entry. i bought a new one off ebay for 10 bucks and did some digging around on how to program it. it turns out the only way it can be reprogrammed is with a DRBIII scan tool. So i called up my local Chrysler Jeep Dodge dealership (more like stealership) and they said they wanted 55 bucks to which i said no thank you. it seems extremely unreasonable to ask for 55 dollars for a simple reprogram which doesn't sound like a very involved process at all in fact i know it takes less than 5 minutes anyway is there any way to do this without that tool is maybe somewhere that doesnt have such an outrageous price?

Honestly $55 is the cheapest I have ever heard of a dealer doing it. Yes it takes less than 5 minutes to do, but they still want to charge. The DRBIII is an expensive tool so I guess they figure that to charge a little to keep it around is ok. Personally I think they ought to encourage customer loyalty by just doing it for free.

That being said, I would just pay the $55 fee. I have a DRBIII and program the remotes for people, I charge about what the dealer does(trying not to sound like an ad here forgive me that wasn't my intentions), they send me the board and remotes and I send it back to them programmed to their remotes, they reinstall it. So to have a dealer do that for about the same price quicker is a pretty good deal. I have had several customers tell me they waste $120 trying to have a dealer program it, only to find out their RKE board is bad. So they are very happy that I charge significantly less than the dealer does.

jk87qo.jpg

So my questions are:

As for if you have the wiring, well if you have an SE and the small overhead light then you most certainly don't, if you have the larger dome light with 3 bulbs, then you probably have the wiring.....and probably have an RKE board. If you pull down the overhead light it should be obvious if there is a plug for it. You will need to get a 99-01 RKE board to work with that 99 WJ remote you got.

Back