• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87 AW4 Transmission Speed Sensor Install

67 GMC

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone done this before? I can feel it with my fingers but can't see the bolt that holds it on. Do I have to take the transfer case shifter bracket off to get at it or am I missing something. The drive shaft is in the way too but surely you don't have to take that off to get this switched!

Also, is it a metric or SAE bolt holding it on? Trying to do it today.

Thanks!!

I have swapped it out with the drive train removed and on the bench, but all I recall is that it is a small bolt. You might get wiggle room by dropping the transmission cross support plate from the body. Probably metric, about 10 mm? Get it loose, and probably turn it by hand from there.

Yep, mine I was able to drop the crossmember down about 3 inche without any trouble, that gave just enough room to get it there.

Just an update-I was able to loosen the 10mm bolt that holds the speed sensor in. I had to use a box end wrench since the head of the bolt is blocked by the sensor cable and the cover plate. I couldn't get the cover plate off as it looked too complicated to remove since it's built into the 4WD selector mechanism. Anyone done this?

Per FSM for the speedo sensor in the later models. Maybe the same for your sensor? :

"Remove components necessary to gain access to rotor and drive gear (e.g. propeller shaft, transfer case cross member, shift linkage)"

There is tranny fluid in the extension housing but the level will not be high enough at the speed sensor to leak all over you as long as the tranny is level in the chassis.

I do believe that is a 10mm bolt that has a locking plate under it. The plate slips into a slot on the wire harness and holds the sensor and wire into place.

Back