• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exterior LED upgrade problem - slightly different

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I figured I would post this as a different thread so as not to detour from the other guys question.

I have upgraded all turn signal and brake lights to LEDs. However, i am having problems with intermittent functionality of turn signals.

1.) All of the signal front and rear and stop lights work fine during the day when the headlights or parking lights are not engaged.

2.) SOMETIMES, when I turn the headlights on or just the parking lights on, the turn signals freeze up. Meaning, if I go to use one, the signal indicator on the dash lights up but stays lit and does not blink. Also when this happen, the turn signal bulbs themselves are constantly on. Meaning, if you look at my vehicle when the headlights or parking lights are on both the taillights and turn signals are all lit up in constant state.

3.) HOWEVER, nunber #2 happens randomly but I am noticing it more when its in the morning and especially when its cold overnight and I am trying to use the headlights and turnsignals first think in the morning.

This lead me to believe that there is some sort of amperage/voltage issue or whatever that happens when the alternator is charging up the battery and the voltage is higher and is outside the parameters of the EP-27 electronic flasher as i believe these are supposed to operate at 11-12V and the alternator running can get it up to 14v. I have a Platinum Diehard (Odyssey) battery that is only 2 years old but I am thinking the cold effects the battery just enough to engage the alternator to charge and then causes the EP-27 not to work correctly.

I could be waaay off and I am not an electronic guys so please give me any suggestions!

Likely need an LED ballast resistor on the circuit or an LED rated flasher most likely. The lower DC voltage when headlights are on is not helping so it may be worse in that instance, and furthermore with the engine off, key on.

Back