• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.1 low t case

ruger81

NAXJA Forum User
So I know some of you in the nwc have this t case I was wondering the pro's and con's to this. With winter just around the corner and my transfer case getting ready to but the farm im thinking on buying the tera low. Lookin for some first hand info. I have an automatic with 4:88 gears. Thanks in advance

The 4.1 option is nice, I've seen first hand why a deeper low is a necessary option, But If you are looking at buying new in box, I've come to the conclusion an Atlas is a much better buy, for the money.. a 2 speed atlas is not too much more money, then building a new 231j T-case (4.1/2low/sye/rebuild kit..etc)

and hell, If you can choke on the price.. a 4speed atlas flat out gives me goosebumps..

The 4.1 option is nice, I've seen first hand why a deeper low is a necessary option, But If you are looking at buying new in box, I've come to the conclusion an Atlas is a much better buy, for the money.. a 2 speed atlas is not too much more money, then building a new 231j T-case (4.1/2low/sye/rebuild kit..etc)

and hell, If you can choke on the price.. a 4speed atlas flat out gives me goosebumps..

well said scott. makes a man think :lickout:

Bronze.

Chad I was toying with installing a 4 spd Atlas as my next upgrade, unfortunatly my Cherokee is languishing in my garage, I use it more as a parts hauler now. I have been buying and hording Jeepster parts over the last 9 months, I'm looking at buying 4 more this week. I would TOTALLY BUY AN ATLAS!!!! And be done with it, you wont regret it.

I was looking at the atlas t cases. But that's alot of dough right now. Also im not clear on the ratios. Can u pick any two you want I see the atlas 4 speeds come in two different configurations. Its still an option but just trying not to spend too much

Try Pirate for a used one. I'm not to sure on the ratios Chad, maybe call Advanced Adapters? Your right on being expensive, I will say what others have already said, by the time you build a 231J your going to be right at the price of an Atlas.

A used 241OR is the same price as a 4:1 for the 231. Then you can sell your 231 with SYE.

Chad my step dad bought a tera kit and we installed it. It is a very nice case. I bought a used one and it ended up being bad. All the bronze bushings were self destructing. This happens when you run that case at high speeds. At least thats what tera flex says. So i sold it to a guy that was going to fix it. An Atlas is an indestructible case in my opinion. After i get some other upgrades done I'm going to buy a 4spd. Just some food for thought. There is also stak look at theres.

I love my 4.1

I feel with the lower gear I can get a lot more done

I think everyone should have one, with that being said I would not want to pay "new" price for it

I'm looking at the atlas 4 speed :bawl: I want it so bad.

Look for a used 4.1 with 2 low and SYE

Or just spend a little more and get the 2speed. ( 2 speed is 1.1 and ???...2.71/3.4/ect) one to one "high" is a speed..

Look at STaK 4x4 they have a 3 speed... Driveline brake.... Cheaper

I was looking at the atlas t cases. But that's alot of dough right now. Also im not clear on the ratios. Can u pick any two you want I see the atlas 4 speeds come in two different configurations. Its still an option but just trying not to spend too much

What was the confusion on the ratios? I believe on the quote form, it lists just the lowest available ratio - so you would not pick two. You would just pick the one that matches the config you want. Here is what is currently listed.

RATIOS:
Low Range: (2.0:1, 2.72:1, & 5.44:1) or (2.72:1, 3.0:1, & 8:16:1) or (2.72:1, 3.8:1, & 10.34:1) or (2.72:1, 4.3:1, & 11.70:1)
High Range 1:1

The 8.16:1 and 11.7:1 are pretty new options. I got the 10.34 in 2008 (lowest avail at the time) and it is fabulous. Although I have a manual. I imagine this is more desireable in the manual than auto. If it is in the cards, do it and don't look back. Totally worth it, if you do not relish the challenge of a frankensteined doubler. To each their own. :cheers:

I really didn't want to add my .02 but...

Having actually ran a Teralow unit for several years, I will say they are a great setup. I had zero complaints running mine. I know Ruger81 knows my opinion on this, but I'll say it again. Sure they have their limits with speed, but it's not really a big deal to just shift into high range. I never had mine out drive my brakes, but I also ran it behind a 5spd (Ruger81 also has 1/2ton front brakes). The thing that sold me on the Tera unit was that it was literally a bolt in deal. No drive line mods needed, speedo still worked, and I didn't have to hack up my floor board. Also, I don't know where some are getting their figures, but the Teralow was almost half the price of the Atlas (including a 2Low kit), and that's not even factoring in drive line mods needed for the Atlas.

The Atlas is a very fine transfer case, and like some have said it will be the last transfer case you buy. However, you will pay for it. The two speeds are available in the 3.0, 3.8, 4.3, and 5.0 flavors, and the four speeds are available in a few different gear configurations as well. I kinda feel some ride the Atlas band wagon just for the bling factor (Who doesn't want a 3g's worth of transfer case under them?).

There are other options too. 231/D300 doubler, 241OR Rubi Case, Stak, etc. They all have their pro's and con's. I went through the same thing your going through with the last Jeep trying to decide which was the best option for my needs.

My personal opinion though, go for the Teralow. You already got a smoking deal on a 2low, you know the place to get a good deal on them brand new. Gather the parts, assemble it in the garage, swap out your 242, and go wheeling later that night.

As someone whose Actually had a 231 ruin 3 wheeling trips, My problem with doing a 4.1 is you still have a chain driven case, and while some people have no problem with that, I do. Find yourself in the middle of airplane hill when all of a sudden "bang bang bang". Instead of your front driveshaft spinning.. OR being at 5500rpm 4th gear 3/4 of the way up what seems like a mile tall sand dune, and hear that classic "bang bang bang" of the chain skipping teeth. Sure there are steps to try and avoid chain stretch (for instance a wider chain from a dodge). But with 2low being $200 an sye is $300. And a rebuild kit is $200. Add on $1200 for teralow. And your only $400 away from having the "last transfercase you'll ever buy". That's gear driven.

Bold: edit:wstupid:

Last edited:
So are you in agreement that you went for the bling or agreeing that the 231 is enough? Also if the 231 is enough what don't you like about your atlas?

More that the Atlas adds a substantial amount of cost and complexity, so make sure it is worth the added effort. 4speed adds another level of cost and complexity.

It's like everything in this sport. Pay a lot, gain a little. For most of what I do, a stock 231 would be fine. Sometimes the low gears a required, once in awhile the really low gears a required.

I like the Rubicon option for a modest build. Like Scott says though, after you burn up a couple t-cases, the Atlas looks like the better option.

I agree. Make sure its worth it to you. Its all a matter of opinion as it is with anything in this sport. Like i said earlier i am saving my coin to buy a 4spd atlas. I like to have choices weather it's gear ratio or what locker to have on. It makes me feel more versatile on the trail and the different terrain i run.

i have an atlas 4 speed in my trail xj on tons & 42's. i am sure that a 231 would break in that rig. before the 4 speed atlas i had a 231/d300 doubler & broke it a couple times.
i guess some of your decision would be based on tire size & how you use your rig. for me i wanted peace of mind that the t-case will never fail.

Back