• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Heater core - minimum pieces that need to come out?

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
99xj fogging windshield and antifreeze smell through vents, no leakage on floor yet.
Gonna have to do this in about 2 weeks. I've researched about a day or so and everyone keeps pointing to this link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...ater-core-removal-installation-thread-592844/ but the pictures no longer show up!

I was wondering a couple things. First, besides the evaporator and the core, what else do you need to replace while in there and where do I get it? I read vague posts about foam gaskets, but don't know where and what to get. Speaking of the core and evaporator...where are they best bought? I've heard NAPA for the evap and any auto store for the core. Would be nice to know any major price difference to from dealer oem.

FINALLY...what is the bare minimum of pieces that need to be removed to allow the dash just to be "pulled" away to get the box out? I've read about removing the steering wheel...the center console, the seats. I'd just like to know the least things I can get away with removing and still be able to get it done. Thanks for any help I'm really not looking forward to this after seeing and reading horror stories on the net :(

The linked thread is correct, you need the extra room to work and need to remove all that is described. Plan on a full weekend job.

I don't have any experience with the newer models, but too bad you don't have a Renix. I can pull the whole dash assembly in probably 20 minutes.

How does the HO variant differ?

I don't have any experience with the newer models, but too bad you don't have a Renix. I can pull the whole dash assembly in probably 20 minutes.

How does the HO variant differ?

Can't answer as I got rid of my 96 before I ever had to do such a job. For the time being, I've just coupled the 2 hoses together...just my luck different diameters too. One was 5/8 one was 3/4 had to get a coupler at advance.

I've read that earlier models the dash more or less comes right out. From what I've been seeing with the 97+, you need to take everything apart in more of a modular way..piece by piece. I've had the seats and console out before to replace carpet, but only got as far as the kick panel on driver side and glovebox door. Never got into it much more than that.

I'm sure it will be a good time.

There is a bit involved but the HVAC box is huge so the whole dash has to come out. get yourself a steering wheel puller to save pulling the column out.

should take 2.5 hours to tear down
- tear down includes removing the entire center console, steering wheel, dash covers, airbags, main wiring junction, and then the dash itself.
1 hour to rebuild the hvac box
- I would suggest replacing the evap while your in there. Buy adhesive foam molding insulation
and another 2 hours slipping it all back together.

There is a bit involved but the HVAC box is huge so the whole dash has to come out. get yourself a steering wheel puller to save pulling the column out.

should take 2.5 hours to tear down
- tear down includes removing the entire center console, steering wheel, dash covers, airbags, main wiring junction, and then the dash itself.
1 hour to rebuild the hvac box
- I would suggest replacing the evap while your in there. Buy adhesive foam molding insulation
and another 2 hours slipping it all back together.

Thanks for the post! Definitely gonna do the evap at the same time. I think your times might be for someone who has done this a few times before though :) I'm figuring more like 4 to tear it all down from what I've read about guys doing it the first time.

So if you pull the steering wheel off you don't have to take the column out? I'm a little confused on that part because I've read you can do it without taking the wheel off or the column out if you just pivot the dash to the side.

I just did my 2000 xj from that link, ( this past Sunday and Monday ) I just unbolted my column and hung it with a strap from the visor, taking the seats out is a huge help, I unbolted and pulled the dash off its mounts and swung the passenger side back to get to the HVAC box. Unbolting the HVAC box from the firewall is a pain. I just got everything back in but am having a problem with the blower motor kicking on. The job isn't very hard just very time consuming, and would be nice with a helper. I got my heater core from rock auto.com, it was a good $20 cheaper even after shipping then every place around me. Let us know how it goes.

I just did my 2000 xj from that link, ( this past Sunday and Monday ) I just unbolted my column and hung it with a strap from the visor, taking the seats out is a huge help, I unbolted and pulled the dash off its mounts and swung the passenger side back to get to the HVAC box. Unbolting the HVAC box from the firewall is a pain. I just got everything back in but am having a problem with the blower motor kicking on. The job isn't very hard just very time consuming, and would be nice with a helper. I got my heater core from rock auto.com, it was a good $20 cheaper even after shipping then every place around me. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the post! Good to hear someone who just did it using that link :) I'll have to check out rockauto since I don't have the parts yet. Not sure if it will be this weekend or next, but I'll definitely post back. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute a tip or two after I've given it a shot. I tried to take a look at the bolts on the firewall and yeah...definitely looks like that's gonna be a pain!

I see on rockauto a spectra evap core and heater core...are those decent? I've used a spectra radiator before and it seemed fine. Don't wanna cheap out on something like these 2 items though for obvious reasons.

I'm open to any suggestions or advice on where to get the parts if anyone knows of a better/worse option.

Thanks for the post! Good to hear someone who just did it using that link :) I'll have to check out rockauto since I don't have the parts yet. Not sure if it will be this weekend or next, but I'll definitely post back. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute a tip or two after I've given it a shot. I tried to take a look at the bolts on the firewall and yeah...definitely looks like that's gonna be a pain!

Oh and don't forget to get a set of tools to get the a/c lines apart, I got mine at auto zone for $12. I extension and a swivel will get 4 of the 5 HVAC box mounting nut, but the 5th behind valve cover was a wretch, 1/4 turn at a time. If you have flex head speed wrenchs that mite help.

I see on rockauto a spectra evap core and heater core...are those decent? I've used a spectra radiator before and it seemed fine. Don't wanna cheap out on something like these 2 items though for obvious reasons.

I'm open to any suggestions or advice on where to get the parts if anyone knows of a better/worse option.

Mine seamed good, had all the correct bends and fit right in. Its the same brand that local auto parts stores wanted $65 for it.

Mine seamed good, had all the correct bends and fit right in. Its the same brand that local auto parts stores wanted $65 for it.

I checked autozone and advance and even with 2 day shipping, the parts from rockauto would be cheaper. Unless someone posts a really bad experience, I'll probably just go with those. Thanks again for the suggestion!

I've got a couple pics from when I tore my dash apart to check my vent door actuators. Not really specific but it might help? On the passenger side the black box with the foam seals is the HVAC box that needs to come out. I pulled the steering wheel, center console, and many trim pieces and other stuff that probably didn't need to be removed lol.
67601_1528358001546_7751151_n.jpg
69459_1528358521559_411818_n.jpg
68838_1528358641562_4590766_n.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a couple pics from when I tore my dash apart to check my vent door actuators. Not really specific but it might help? On the passenger side the black box with the foam seals is the HVAC box that needs to come out.
67601_1528358001546_7751151_n.jpg
69459_1528358521559_411818_n.jpg
68838_1528358641562_4590766_n.jpg

Thanks! Yeah, every pic I see helps a little more with visualizing how it's all gonna go down LOL

As I think I said...I've already had the seats and console out before and the panel under the steering wheel...center trim etc...but never any further than that.

I've done the heater core / evaporator on my '99 and my sisters 2001. Neither of them required removed the steering column or entire dash. I simply removed the front passenger seats, removed all the dash mounting hardware and swung the dash out as far as I could on the passenge side. It was a little tight, but the HVAC plenum easily came out and went back in. In all, it took me 8 hours to do the first time on my '99 and 6 hours on my sisters 2001. It's a pain, yes, but its nothing to be intimidated by.

I've done the heater core / evaporator on my '99 and my sisters 2001. Neither of them required removed the steering column or entire dash. I simply removed the front passenger seats, removed all the dash mounting hardware and swung the dash out as far as I could on the passenge side. It was a little tight, but the HVAC plenum easily came out and went back in. In all, it took me 8 hours to do the first time on my '99 and 6 hours on my sisters 2001. It's a pain, yes, but its nothing to be intimidated by.

Thanks for the info and encouragement! I tried to reply to this at work but it didn't show up for some reason. Anyway, so the only 2 things you absolutely have to take out are the console and the passenger seat, right?

Yes, there are two main bolts on either end of the dash down by the knee bolster, studs or bolts (can't remember) along the top under the windshield and a bracket in the center under the center console. Once all those are out then the dash will pull away from the firewall and you can swing it out of the way for the hvac removal.

Last edited:
Yes, there are two main bolts on either end of the dash down by the knee bolster, studs or bolts (can't remember) along the top under the windshield and a bracket in the center under the center console. Once all those are out then the dash will pull away from the firewall and you can swing it out of the way for the hvac removal.

Thanks again for the info! Still don't know if it will be this weekend or next but once i've done it, i'll post to the thread.

Back