• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 binding up in reverse

REDXJ4FUN

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a weird issue with my 97 . It started by feeling like the rear brakes were hanging up when backing up , I would
Ltd give it some gas and it would kinda break free but sometimes would make some crazy noise that sounded like it was coming from the rear. Then the other night it started making bad noise even when driving forward. I limped it home and tore in to the rear thinking it was brakes at first witch were still good. Then popped the cover and didn't see anything bad so I dropped the drive shaft. At times I can't even turn the drive shaft backwards and when I can there is a grinding noise out of the trans. I have never had any trouble out of an aw4 but this summer was tough on the jeep. It sat for 2 years in touched then I finally put it on the road with a bunch of motor mods and used it for work hauling 600 pounds of tools a 1000 miles a week in bad traffic in DC and such.

Back